[SOLVED] Asus Z690 E ROG Strix Gaming motherboard NVME heatsink question?

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I bought an ASUS Z690 E ROG Strix motherboard and i made the mistake of purchasing the Samsung 980 Pro with the heatsink. If I use that drive with the mobo i cant reattach the heatsink the board has. GPU that will be plugged in PCIe slot closest to that NVMe slot will be a MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT Z Gaming board. Is it ok to not use the mobo's heatsink and just rely on the Samsung's or should i definitely return NVMe drive and get non heatsink version?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Either heatsink will be fine. It will be down to asthetic choice but as its hidden under the GPU you probably wont see it anyway. Make sure the heatpad is applied properly.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Either heatsink will be fine. It will be down to asthetic choice but as its hidden under the GPU you probably wont see it anyway. Make sure the heatpad is applied properly.

Good to know. It def will look nicer with the Asus part installed but not an issue to me. However, if i can grab another without heatsink today locally then i might go for it. If not then ill leave it as is.

Thank you

The Samsung heat sink will do just fine.
As with any heat sink, try to get some airflow over it.

Just my opinion... Heatsinks for m.2 devices are over rated.
They are mostly marketing.
Throttling happens when sustained sequential processing happens.
Think 30 seconds.
We do not do that much sequential, most of our work is random.

Reactions: Nine Layer Nige