Question Asus Z690-P WIFI D4 board - - - default voltages too high for the 13700k CPU ?

NickyB

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Does Asus ship their Z690-P WIFI D4 board with too high voltages for the 13700k cpu?

I am running my board at stock and didn't know if I should undervolt or adjust the default voltage values. I remember reading somewhere that they were too high out of the box. Not sure if that was asus or another brand.

I run a 13700k cpu with the Asus Z690-P WIFI D4 motherboard. Should I undervolt my cpu and/or change the default cpu voltages? I ran cinebench and with 6 minutes left in the multi thread benchmark it started hitting 100c. That should not happen and I would like to fix that. Thanks!

Does Asus out of the box default settings have too high voltages for the 13700k? I was looking to undervolting and changing the voltages on my asus z690-p wifi d4 board.

But I am not sure asus aggressively increased the voltages for intel cpus. Do they do this on this board? Should I change them? What should they be and where do I do this at in my bios?

Thanks everyone!

EVERYBODY has "too high voltages" out of the box for every CPU on every generation and every platform. This is intentional for the purpose of erring to the side of stability. CPU core voltage can almost always be fine tuned somewhat if you are willing to go through the same process you would go through when overclocking, since in fact it IS the same process and you need to run the same tests to ensure that your now lower voltage is still affording stability in that configuration. Not being willing to do the work should mean leaving the default configuration as is otherwise you are likely to have an unstable configuration whether you are aware of it or not. Micro errors are a real thing and you'll never know it until it's too late.

As far as the temps are concerned, hitting 100°C on 12th and 13th Gen Intel is NOT unusual. Even with better boards, which that one is really not but which should be good enough for that CPU so long as you not overclocking the CPU at all.

The first thing to do is make sure you are on the MOST current stable BIOS version. Then make sure you have personally, manually, gone to the product support page for your motherboard and downloaded the latest board specific drivers and installed them ALL.

What Windows version, 10 or 11, are you running?

What case do you have? How many case fans and WHERE are they installed? What orientation, intake (in) or exhaust (out) is EACH case fan for each location?

What CPU cooler are you running?

What is the ambient temperature in the room where your PC is?