Question Asus Z690 Slow Startup - Slow POST and No Fast Boot Acceleration

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
I just installed an Asus Rog Strix Z690-E with an i7-12700F and my startup is much slower than my MSI Carbon Z390 and i9-9900K, when using the same Windows 11 install and a fresh install too. I hope that others with similar setups might respond and let me know whether the following times are slower than they should be. The only thing I could put any problem down to is that my RAM isn't on this mobo's QVL (had to make hardware choices at the last minute), but I'd like to confirm whether there is likely to be a problem before I replace brand new RAM.

From the time I hit the power button until I see the logo (first image) is at least 20 seconds, and it is at least another 10 until POST completes. After that it is at least another 7 seconds until the first screen of Windows 11 shows - making 37 seconds, compared to just over 10 on my 9900K/Z390. Windows reports the BIOS times as between 18 and 22 seconds. Those are the usual times, sometimes it takes a lot longer and it's well over a minute before I'm in Win11. Curiously, the typical times do not change regardless of whether fast boot or XMP settings are enabled. There are no overclocks on any part of the system, other than RAM when XMP is enabled. All power saving is disabled. Graphics PCI-E slot set to Gen 4 makes no difference.

Can anyone tell me whether this sounds like expected system behavior or if this likely indicates an issue? Can anyone with similar setups let me know how their numbers and experience compares?

System is i7-12700K on an Asus ROG Strix Z690-E (BIOS is latest - 1720) with 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 (CMK32GX5M2B6000C36) RAM. GPU is a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC. Boot drive is a Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2, storage drive is a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2. PSU is a Corsair RM850i about two years old. All drivers are installed and up to date.

If I forgot to include anything please remind me. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Added BIOS version, PSU and driver information, thanks to Lutfij

Last edited:

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Did you make sure to install all chipset and storage drivers manually after you successfully finished your OS install?
Thanks, I thought I forgot stuff. BIOS is the latest (1720), PSU is a Corsair RM850i about two years old. All drivers were installed manually on both the previous Win11 install and this one.

I should add: I first tried this new mobo/CPU and RAM with the previous install of Win11 I was using with the Z390/9900K. That gave me the same results as I'm getting now with a clean install of Win11, so I'm inclined to eliminate the PSU and GPU as likely causes...