ASUS Z77 Sabertooth Question About Fan Headers???

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Hi guys,

Just a quick question for anyone that owns or has experience with the ASUS Z77 Sabertooth.

I was wondering, as the MoBo only has 4 case fan headers is it possible to plug a normal 120/140/200mm case fan into a Assist Fan header, or would that cause damage???
Because I don't have them loud tiny whining little fans turned on 95% of the time as they are, well, loud and whiny lol. I have them set to only come on when the temps get pretty high.
What I'm worried about is, are these headers the same as the normal case fan headers, or do they have a different voltage/amps/watts going to them??? Would a normal, fairly high performance case fan draw too much power through them and damage the board!?!?

Really appreciate some help with this please =)
Thanks peoples

I am not sure on that but I do know that atleast on my Z77 Sabertooth I can't even hear the two little fans. I have seen the same thing posted at tonymacx86 about those fans but I guess I got luck as my Hackintosh build is very quiet even though I have 8 120mm fans and the 2 little fans running plus the two fans on my GTX 670 in a In Win GRone case.

But since those two headers are really only for the specific fans I do not think I would take a chance with plugging anything else into them.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Yeah, I kind of had a feeling that it might not be a good idea but I thought I would ask anyway as no one on any forum or site had asked it before.

Well I wouldn't say mine are massively loud, it's just that my PC is quite close to my bed and I do a lot of downloading at night, so those little assist fans tend to really notice late at night when you're trying to fall asleep. It doesn't help that the QFan utility in the BIOS sets them to a minimum speed of 60% if I remember correctly, but I've now set them using AISuite to be off until the temps get fairly high.
The main reason I asked was because the only noise I have now is from 2 case fans that are powered by a Molex, so both fans run at full tilt all the time. One of them is fine, an Antec 200mm Big Boy which isn't loud even at 100% but the other one is a 3000rpm 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon, which although it's a decent quality fan, anything spinning at 3000rpm is going to make a fair bit of noise. Which is why I wanted to know if I could get away with plugging them into the assist headers for the time being until I can get a fan controller, as all my case fan headers are in use already :-\