• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question ASUS Z87-C: trouble with ASUS' BIOS updater for newer 4th gen

Jun 21, 2020
Helped my son rebuild the upgrade-castoff guts of my 2013 entry-level Digital Storm into a new case:

i5 4570 3.2GHz Quad-core
ASUS Z87-C (z87 chipset)
16G DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
1TB Seagate 7200rpm HD
GTX 1060OC (EVGA)
600W Corsair CX Power Supply

to which we added a WD 500G SSD for OS and a certain space game, and intended to upgrade to an i7 4790K, for which I thought had properly updated the BIOS using the Adv. BIOS tools.

The built works perfectly with its original i5 BUT:
ASUS needs me to install and use it's "BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors", which in turn requires "Intel Management Engine Interface Drivers be properly installed". However, I can't install said drivers (either from the ASUS download center for this model/OS, nor the Intel site) because said system resource is not installed on this board (Adv. BIOS shows: ME = N/A, and does not appear in device manager).

Been reading a lot of CPU threads about similar problems with this CPU on ASUS MB's. Anyone have any luck/experience with this conundrum?

[BTW: running a clean install of Win10 home on the SSD, but also tried Loading Win7, fully updated, on the HDD as an alternate boot in case the necessary steps were part of the outdated DVD's the board came with. No joy: ME "not supported by your system"]

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS