ASUS Z87 constantly boots to UEFI Bios Utility instead of Windows

hmshfn

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Gryphon Z87 / BIOS version 0801
Intel Haswell i7-4770
Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Pulling my hair out here. I've set this new computer up, but 19 time sout of 20 when I reboot, instead of taking me to Windows it takes me to the UEFI Bios Utility instead.

I know Windows is installed because I've been able to get in a few times (no rhyme or reason as to why it works or doesn't) and set up basically everything. I've already reinstalled all my programs and transferred files and such.

I just don't even have a clue where to start because the UEFI Bios Utility is not telling me what it wants. I have the drive with Windows on it as first in the boot order.

I've tried save and exit, exit without saving, EZ Mode, Advanced mode, boot menu, hitting F8 before boot to go right to boot meny, UEFI and Other OS modes, on and on and on.

Last time i got it working, I had run the Win 7 disc with a repair but that isn't working this time.

I've searched all over to find someone with the same problem, but no luck. Any help is very much appreciated...

Solution
Alright I think I have it all figured out. For whatever reason, /something/ about the original install of Windows went badly. I don't know what, because I verified Windows was on c: and worked and used it for hours...

But whenever I rebooted, it would lose the indication that it was a system partition. Sometimes booting into windows repair worked, but usually not. There was another older drive that I have not had an OS on for ages, but which still had the bootmgr and was marked an active partition. Obviously something about that messed up the install on the new OS drive. (Though it was fine on my previous computer for years.)

I disconnected it, reinstalled from scratch on the new OS drive (right after having set everything back up...

hmshfn

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Alright I think I have it all figured out. For whatever reason, /something/ about the original install of Windows went badly. I don't know what, because I verified Windows was on c: and worked and used it for hours...

But whenever I rebooted, it would lose the indication that it was a system partition. Sometimes booting into windows repair worked, but usually not. There was another older drive that I have not had an OS on for ages, but which still had the bootmgr and was marked an active partition. Obviously something about that messed up the install on the new OS drive. (Though it was fine on my previous computer for years.)

I disconnected it, reinstalled from scratch on the new OS drive (right after having set everything back up, ugh!), and everything was fine. I was very hesitant to boot with the problematic HDD connected though, so I turned hot plug on in UEFI BIOS, connected it /after/ boot, transferred all the data files I needed to an external drive, formatted what was left on the problem drive, and ran the diskpart commands found here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/62464-un-mark-partition-active.html#post334484

Now I only have one active/system drive, I can boot normally, and I'm transferring the data back to the (former) problem drive now. Nightmare is over. Thanks for ur6beersaway for help even if it ended up being something different (my original question was pretty vague), and certainly getting the motherboard BIOS updated was a good thing to do anyway.

Solution

zipper2000

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

sbudbud

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I have the same exact issue on my Z87 Sabertooth, I have the OS booting from a SSD and a 1tb as secondary storage... It boot into the bios 99% of the time and sometimes boots into it 3-5 times in a row. I've updated the bios several times but this hasn't been resolved. I guess I'll try re installing everything AGAIN ( ive literally formatted and re installed windows 7/8 and 8.1 about 20 times within the past 2 months).

Also I've also searched all over and have yet to see anyone else with this issue.

Quitter-man

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Same here with asus x79 deluxe. I tried different SATA on the MB,reinstall on different drives, win 7,8,8.1, rebuild bootmgr,diskpart utility, set partition active, set default boot drive, unblug all drives except for boot drive, CMOS rest, MB battery out, unblug BD/DVD and more! No use it still boot to bios and from there you select your drive to boot. I am ready to drop yet another few hundreds on a different MB to see if asus is trying to give me a stroke or it's just my bad luck!

Update: it was as simple as unplugging the fancy Alienware keyboard I have! All working well now. Yah that's what I call embarising. Wasted 3 long weeks troubleshooting none existing problem! Oh brother, check the simplest things first people before you assume the worst. You could save serious time and effort;) lesson learned.

tdehan

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
This is happening to me as well. Brand new Z87-A. I installed Win7 64bit and successfully booted into the OS one time. Now everytime I book it goes directly to the BIOS. It typically shows that the boot order is UEFI and the DVD drive is no longer listed as a boot option. When I change the boot priority to boot the the SATA1 drive and hit F10 to save and exit it throws a message saying: You have not made any changes to the BIOS.

I have tried booting to the OS DVD... same thing, straight to the BIOS.

I have tried hitting F8 and selecting the 1st SATA drive .... same thing, straight to the BIOS.

I have tried booing with the keyboard unpluged... same thing, straight to the BIOS.

I have cleared the CMOS settings.... same ting, straight to the BIOS.

This is absolutely maddening!!! How does one stop this from happening.

Radovan

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

I had exactly same problem with my Z87-Deluxe Quad motherboard and I have Alienware TactX keyboard. All I had to do is change one setting in BIOS under Boot Configuration ---> USB Support ---> set to DISABLED (previously set to Partial Initialization) and my problem with booting into UEFI BIOS is solved now :)

Nathan76

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

Have you found a solution yet? I'm having a very similar problem with ASUS H81I-PLUS motherboard. Boots straight into UEFI Bios, I do a hard reset several times and eventually boots into os. I believe I am running the latest bios 0803.

Nathan76

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

Ok I have been having exactly the same problem and the solution I figured out (for me anyway) was that I was using a first generation sandforce SSD (OCZ vertex 2 SATA II 100GB) as boot drive and it turns out these are not compatible either with the chipset or Haswell.

Changed to Samsung 840 EVO SATA III 120GB and everything working fine.

ASUS H81I-PLUS, i3-4130, MSI R9 270

piesoczlek

Reputable
May 26, 2014
My problem is similar.My MB is Gryphon Z87. I've got no boot further than to UEFI even once. When I set priority to DVD booting as first place and I'm doing restart, it's turning around to UEFI every singel time. Computer is new, I havn't instal OS yet. In boot menu seems everything is set properly.

ametzer

Reputable
May 29, 2014

hi hmshfn. I also have same kind of problem. i'm using ASUS B85-Pro Gamer. it keeps bring me to the bios setting too after i accidently restart.read some suggestion here which suggesting me to unplug the keyboard (razer blackwidow), still back to bios settings.anybody have another solution?? at one time i feel like giving up.throwing the motherboard to the dustbin might help and get motherboard from other brand. called asus helpline but they keep on crapping this and that. "we never face that kind of error" bulls**t.

My specs :
Proc : Intel i5-4440
MoBo : Asus B85 Pro Gamer
RAM : Kingston DDR3 1600 Hyper X
SSD : Kingston V300 120gb (OS)
HDD : WD Blue 1tb
DVD : LG24
GC : MSi GTX760
Casing : Corsair 400r
PSU Cooler Master Gx-II 650w

Nathan76

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Hi Mate,

It is a known issue that some SSD Sandforce controllers are not compatible with Haswell. If your BIOS and firmware on the SSD are the latest and you are still getting this problem I would suggest that the solution is to upgrade your SSD.

This worked for me anyway OCZ Vertex II > Samsung 840 Evo.

Yorgi

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I am having this issue with a P8Z77 Sabertooth and Win7 x64 pro installed in a SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 SSD.

To get past the UEFI boot device screen I can hit the ESC key (last menu option on the boot screen) then quickly start tapping F8 which will bring up the standard windows boot screen with the safe mode options.

themmeri

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
LOL after all the research i found that having an unbootable disk in the cd caused this issue for me. Also drive was empty cause i was trying to load operating system. Thought i had windows7 disk in there but didny. Once i did. problem solved.

nezarat

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
i have same problem too .
this motherboard have 2 kind sata port , black and yellow port
my HDD connected to black sata port , I change it to yellow port & Bingo