ASUS Z87 constantly boots to UEFI Bios Utility instead of Windows

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hmshfn

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Gryphon Z87 / BIOS version 0801
Intel Haswell i7-4770
Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Pulling my hair out here. I've set this new computer up, but 19 time sout of 20 when I reboot, instead of taking me to Windows it takes me to the UEFI Bios Utility instead.

I know Windows is installed because I've been able to get in a few times (no rhyme or reason as to why it works or doesn't) and set up basically everything. I've already reinstalled all my programs and transferred files and such.

I just don't even have a clue where to start because the UEFI Bios Utility is not telling me what it wants. I have the drive with Windows on it as first in the boot order.

I've tried save and exit, exit without saving, EZ Mode, Advanced mode, boot menu, hitting F8 before boot to go right to boot meny, UEFI and Other OS modes, on and on and on.

Last time i got it working, I had run the Win 7 disc with a repair but that isn't working this time.

I've searched all over to find someone with the same problem, but no luck. Any help is very much appreciated...

Solution
Alright I think I have it all figured out. For whatever reason, /something/ about the original install of Windows went badly. I don't know what, because I verified Windows was on c: and worked and used it for hours...

But whenever I rebooted, it would lose the indication that it was a system partition. Sometimes booting into windows repair worked, but usually not. There was another older drive that I have not had an OS on for ages, but which still had the bootmgr and was marked an active partition. Obviously something about that messed up the install on the new OS drive. (Though it was fine on my previous computer for years.)

I disconnected it, reinstalled from scratch on the new OS drive (right after having set everything back up...

rsiegmann

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
we were able to revolse the issue by changing the operating system to "other os" and not using the Windows UEFI. It was a windows update problem that infected the UEFI boot something.

2low4u

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

[/quotemsg]

Pill Your a Genious ty!

jemprousa

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Hey. I just went into the same problem with mu Z97A. You wont beleive all that I did from this forum to fix mine, even reinstalling windows. Just to find out my "DELETE" key was faulty. So, I read somewhere on this thread to disconnect the keyboard, just about to do it when I noticed my "delete" key kind of pressed on on edge, I tapped it hard several times and it got out of place on the keyboard and snapped out. DAAAAAMN. Getting new keyboard. Hope this helps to someone else. Thanks to all of you that post your suggestions.

Feb 10, 2018
MSi b250 pro-vdh motherboard:
I had enabled "boot into Windows 8 / 10" and kept on getting into bios. When I switched back to "boot into Winddows 7" it worked...

This is counterintuitive as I have Windows 10 on primary harddisk...

ivorybow

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
What if you boot with the keyboard unplugged?
You are my hero today! I could not get my computer to boot this morning and I have been working on it for over an hour and was just about to reinstall Windows when I read your comment about rebooting with the keyboard turned off. That worked. I dropped my usb keyboard yesterday and keys went everywhere and I reassembled it but something must have caused it to block booting. Thank you so much!