Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
New build ASUS Z87 Deluxe Motherboard
CPU Core I7-4770K 3.5G 4C 8M
Corsair CMPSU-850AX power supply
G.SKILL F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD 4Gx4 Memory
Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256G MZ-7PD256BW R
Gigabyte GV-R7970C-3GD HD7970 R Video Card

The computer will only boot to a screen if memory is only in dimm slots B1 and/or B2. If I put memory in slots A1 and/or A2 the system will not boot it will only start up and run 5-10 seconds then reboot run 5-10 seconds and reboot over and over and over.

When the system boots with memory in only slots B1 and/or B2 the speaker beeps once and the following screen is displayed.

ASUS Z87-DELUXE ACPI BIOS REVISION 0801
CPU I7-4770K CPU@ 3.50GHZ
SPEED 3500MHZ
TOTAL MEMORY 8192MB (DDR3-1600)
USB DEVICES TOTAL: 0 DRIVE, 3 KEYBOARD, 1 MOUSE, 3 HUBS
SATA PORT 1: SAMSUNG SSD 840 PRO SERI
SATA PORT 3: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208M
SATA PORT 4: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208M

PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO RECOVER BIOS SETTING
PRESS F1 TO RUN SETUP

Q Code displayed on motherboard is 00 A2

Pressing F1 on the keyboard has no effect.
Pressing the delete key during boot has no effect.
Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete reboots to the same screen.
Pressing the DirectKey button reboots to the same screen.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is bad motherboard, memory or CPU?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
To run the sticks at 2666 will require an OC, so would suggest starting, by going into BIOS, initially set the CPU multiplier to 41, enable XMP, select profile 1 and give that a try - may have to jump back in again and then reset some voltages as I'm not sure there initial BIOS is even ready for 2666 sticks...but ttry this and let me know, if no joy we'll do a manual config

Greg Gallier

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

How would you suggest getting into the BIOS? Everything I have tried so far has failed, pressing the Delete key. F1 and DirectKey button has no effect of entering the setup screen.

Greg Gallier

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

I installed a different keyboard and was finally able to get into the BIOS and apply the default settings. That allowed me to install the operating system and motherboard drivers/utilities. I then went back into the BIOS and changed Ai Overclock Tuner setting from Auto to X.M.P., Profile #1 did a save and reboot. System booted and loaded operating system everything working. Shut down the system installed my other 2 stick of ram in dimm slots A1 & A2 an rebooted. System would not start gave me error codes F0 & 55 which are Memory not installed. Recovery Condition Triggered by firmware (auto Recovery)

I called ASUS tech support. The tech confirmed what I was thinking, dimm slots A1 & A2 are bad.

Contacted Newegg and got a RMA number. Will be returning motherboard back to Newegg Monday.

Greg Gallier

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Newegg sent me a new motherboard after they received the defective one back. I reassembled the computer and the system booted up perfectly. Haven't had any luck at running with XMP enabled yet. Haven't updated the bios yet either. I have been pretty busy and am quit happy with the performance of the system so far with it set in the auto High Performance Mode.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
You might want to update UEFI at some point I suppose. Check which version your board shipped with and if it's old, updat to the latest and grab the latest drivers and utilities from the ASUS support page for your board also.

Pedro Frederico

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hi Greg.

I had a similar problem when I tried to install parts KHX21C11T3K2/16X on slots A2-B2 (the golden ones) just like recommended in the board's user guide.

Each memory stick worked fine using a single dimm configuration. So my guess was it could be something related with dual channel behavior.

Surprinsingly enough I got it to work using slots A1-A2 (the black ones).

Not satisfied I've updated the BIOS which seemed very outdated 0801 in comparision with the 1205 made available in ASUS website.

Having the BIOS updated, and since I am a little stubborn, I've tried the memory sticks again in A2-B2 and it WORKED! It works fine either with Auto configuration or using XMP profiles.

Of course reading what you had to say leaves me a little bit worried since there may be something outdated in my board (mine is REV 1.03), nevertheless updating the BIOS worked. I will now try to test all the features exhaustively.

Something that is not working quite properly yet is Dual Intelligent Processors IV. I only get High Performance option for Power Saving Formula. Maybe it's a BIOS configuration I'm missing or because it does not detected system fan's (I'm waiting for a Fractal Design Define R4 yet) since I've assembled it over a card box :)

Praz-1

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Raja, in his previous post, was referring to the UEFI version being outdated not the motherboard.

Greg P

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I've tried several things:
- Update BIOS Firmware to last available version (1707).
- Changed PSU.
- Booting only with CPU+RAM+CD and Ubuntu Live.
- Left only one RAM module.
- Removed additional VGA card.
but nothing happened (was still automatically rebooting after switching off the pc).

The only things worked for me was:
- Resetting the BIOS using the CLRTC pin directly on the motherboard (Z87-C).

Hope this helps.
Greg