ASUS Z87 Expert MB will not recognize SATA HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2018
I bought a replacement mother board when my MSI mb went out. I had to get a LGA1150 so I could reuse my i7 Intel processor and the RAM from the old board. The one I settled on is the ASUS Z87 Expert MB, which installed easy enough but will not recognize any SATA connections. I have tried multiple HDD's and DVD drives on differing ports on the MB, checking for answers with ASUS, here on Tom's Hardware and several others, Youtube, updated the BIOS since I saw an update that mentioned it corrected an issue with the BIOS recognizing SATA drives and I have not found anything that works. In the BIOS the only drives it recognizes are USB drives once they are connected to the rear. What I currently have is the Z87 Expert motherboard from ASUS, 32 GB of Ram (2x 8GB G-Skill1333 and 2x 8GB of Corsair 1333), Intel i7 processor, new corsair 850X power supply, and have tried several SATA HDD's that are functional including WD, Seagate, and more. As it sits, it has an error on the MB of A2 and a steady light on the MB where it says "Boot Device LED". When I boot it up it starts spinning up the fans and goes through about 3 seconds of post checks, then shuts back down for like 3 seconds, then starts back through the full set of post checks, which i also find weird. Then I get an on-screen error of "The current bios settings do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the Bios setup. Go to Advanced > Boot> CSM Parameters, and adjust the CSM (Compatabilty Support Module) settings to enable the boot device. No setting changes have helped, I have reset all to default by using F5, and no change either. I bought this new/unopened from Amazon. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Nov 4, 2018

I appreciate the quick response.
I removed the G-Skill RAM, removed the CMOS battery with the power disconnected from the power supply, moved the jumpers to pins 2 and 3 to clear it out and waited about 3 minutes or so, then set the jumper back to 1 /2, reinserted the CMOS battery, reconnected the power cable and restarted it. Same thing again, same error code on MB, same error on boot screen, and BIOS still shows no devices on SATA for the boot priority screen nor the Advanced > SATA Configuration.

I already had the drives connected to the yellow ports for SATA but still moved them to different ports just for testing purposes. This has me really puzzled but no apparent change.

You have worked this one hard ! My thoughts

Have you tried another psu ? That would be my suspect # 1.

Just to be clear about the board, suspect # 2

You booted under IDE and AHCI ?

Enabled CSM / UEFI and Legacy OPROM ?

Disabling CSM did not help?

Have these settings worked ?

Launch CSM –> Enabled
Boot Device Control –> UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot from Network Devices –> Legacy OPROM only
Boot from Storage Devices –> Legacy OPROM only
Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices –> Legacy OPROM only ?

If you got this far then you got a lemon.

Nov 4, 2018

Thank you for the reply. You caught me "stepping away from the problem" before i rip out my hair and shoot this thing. I am currently too messy from working in the yard to start mucking with the inside of the computer but I will give these a try tonight or tomorrow when i get home from work. I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.