ASUS Z87-K for i5 4670k and crossfire?

coast3

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Hi

I am planning a pc build, and has chosen the i5 4670k and Sapphire HD 7950 3GB GDDR5. I am not entirely sure whether to overclock, or crossfire in the future. Therefore it would be nice to buy a motherboard which would be able to support that. I have looked at the ASUS Z87-K, and it seems adequate, but motherboards are something I am quite ignorant about. So I hope someone can give their input.

Thanks!

Well that motherboard would not be great for Crossfire/SLI since the second PCI-E x16 is only running at 4x speed. I would get the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976 . I am running the Asus Z77 Sabertooth in my i5 rig and it has been a great board. I built this rig in January and have not had any problems with it.

It will be able to handle dual Crossfire/SLI with no problems. There may be a cheaper option but I do not really know alot about intel hardware since I have been with AMD/ATI for many years as such my i5 3570K rig is the first intel/Nvidia rig I have built for quite some time.

coast3

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
How about ASUS Z87-PLUS? If I understand it right it can run the second PCI-E x16 at 8x speed. Are there anything this motherboard would be lacking vs. the Sabertooth? Considering the sabertooth is a more pricey alternative.