Asus Z87-plus motherboard will not post

mwinter343

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Hi, so this is my first build and I'm having trouble posting to bios from my mother board.

Build is:
i5 4690k cpu
Asus Z87 plus mother board
XCLIO gold + 1000 watt PSU
4 gb panram performance series ddr3
Stock intel cpu cooler

This has not been installed in a case yet, just trying to post to verify that everything is working.

Signs:
The power button is red, I've plugged in the 8 pin power connector and the 24 pin power connector. And it's plugged into a known working monitor via vga connection. The cpu fan turns on, but nothing will post. All led's turn on as well when triggered (flick the epu, tpu switches, etc.)

Kinda new to this sort of thing, and don't really know how to diagnose the issue. Thanks.

The only visual signs of damage I can see is some bent pins in the back of the motherboard. (I don't really see how you can install things like the cooler, ram, and power chords without bending these a little)

Edit:

Things I've tried:
-Clearing CMOS
-Updating Bios
-Power Supply is good
-I have no way of checking if cpu is good though

Motherboard turns on, CPU fan turns.

Solution
What bios version do you have? Z87 boards could require bios update for haswell refresh cpu.

I checked on asus site and for Z87 plus and for 4690k it requires bios 2003.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

Neutr1n0

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
What bios version do you have? Z87 boards could require bios update for haswell refresh cpu.

I checked on asus site and for Z87 plus and for 4690k it requires bios 2003.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

Solution

mwinter343

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Ok. so i updated the bios using the bios flashback feature. The update looked like it went smoothly, but still no post (downloaded from asus website, used their renamer, copied to FAT32 formatted usb). I've noticed that the memok button does not light up even when there is no ram installed. Could this be an issue? Has anyone had trouble with this motherboard not reading ram correctly?

mwinter343

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

I'm marking this as the correct answer, because it was definitely half of the solution! The other thing that was holding me back was I tried to clear the CMOS incorrectly.... Always read the motherboard manual for these things >_>