Asus Z87 PLUS with I7-4790K don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Asus Z87 Plus mobo works fine with a I5-4430 (BIOS 2103 from factory), but with an I7-4790K or
Celeron 1840 don't. The cooler turns and the CPU red LED remains lighted, but nothing
else. Asus tell me to update the BIOS, but 2103 is the last version and must support an I7-4790K.
Anyway I flashed the BIOS with the ASUS stuff, but of course, nothing changes (same BIOS).
Any advice? Thanks.

If the MB has some age to it, it probably needs a BIOS update to run the new devil's canyon CPU's. The CPU support list says since BIOS 2003. I would update it to the latest BIOS available since each update is an improvement over the previous version.

CPU Support List:
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

did you read the thing on the older bios about using the refresh chips ?? I wonder if you flashed back and do whats said on that if it will go to working ??

Z87-PLUS BIOS 2003
Enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.
Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors.

Version 2004

Description
Z87-PLUS BIOS 2004 and BIOS updater
Improve System performance

*Note: Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first update the BIOS using USB BIOS flashback, or download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using it.

I don't know what they mean by this but maybe your missing this ??

''Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors'''

or what about a bent pin ??

iirc, on my asus z97m-plus, you extracted the updater utility onto a flash drive as well as loaded the extracted BIOS update onto it. Not sure why they recommend that, as they (asus) provide 3 or 4 different methods for updating -

to the OP: if your mobo has a UEFI BIOS, then there's a tool utility on the BIOS that lets you load the bios directly off a flash drive or your hard drive if you so desire - you just have to search for it in a rudimentary directory tree in the tool utility

otherwise instructions for using the updater utility are in your mobo's manual - if you don't have it, go to your mobo at asus.com and then to "support" and on the support page you'll see a choice to download the manual

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Spooky2th: The last BIOS is the 2103, and comes from factory. If you try to download an another version from ASUS support,
you finish all the time with the 2103 version. The Mobo is nearly new, I don't mounted it in a case, but with the I5-4430 works
(Display UEFI setup, a live UBUNTU works, etc...).

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
junkeymonkey: No way... the mobo comes from factory with BIOS 2103 (the latest one). You can't download from ASUS other BIOS than 2103.
Any way, I downloaded the 2103, and flashed from UEFI option. Same results, works fine with I5-4430, not with I7-4790K or Celeron 1840. So
we can discard the BIOS update issue or the bent pin...

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Original Ralph: No way... the mobo comes from factory with BIOS 2103 (the latest one). You can't download from ASUS other BIOS than 2103.
Any way, I downloaded the 2103, and flashed from UEFI option. No changes. It really turns me nuts, mobo working with I5-4430 with latest BIOS,
(2103) thats supports I7-4790K or Celeron 1840 (ASUS said), but I can't use these processors (I agree that seems to be a BIOS issue, but I can't find
the trick....) The 4790K and Celeron works on another mobo (ASROCK).

sounds like a bad chip's or asus tech support needs to get involved on that ? if its all good to go as far as the board is concerned and as you say nothing should be wrong unless its the chip 's themselves? like you said it all came out of the asus box ready for plug and play with all the cpu's you trying to use ..

things like this is why I don't conceder asus anymore.. my ''last'' 3 were my last

out side of what been covered I'm out of ideas

like I said you may need to flash back to the first refresh supported bios and work it back up to the newest one

seems to be a common issue with asus

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2322387/sabertooth-z87-core-4790k.html

http://superuser.com/questions/804006/z87-deluxe-edition-wont-boot-with-core-i7-4790k

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2233236/4790k-working-asus-z87.html

plenty more

did asus flash there own board correctly to start with ??

actually there are 11 or 12 BIOS starting with 1007 in June 2013, but the 2103 is the latest. You can download it and re-install - i'm not total expert but i had some issues that clearing CMOS & RTC (look in your manual for the procedure, won't take but a minute and will only entail having to reset the date and time in BIOS) and then re-installing the BIOS cleared the issue.

interesting, not sure why but ASUS is showing the Bios offered with the Bios updater utility loaded in the same download and without. You might try it with the updater utility, if you haven't. (Both win 7 64x and win 8 64x seem to be showing the same updates).

Also, what might be of some interest, i just went thru installing 7 bios updates that asus dumped over a few weeks span on my board, and on two of the updates, when i rebooted the system automatically went back to the asus flash 2 updater tool in the UEFI Bios, asking to "read the update file a 2nd time". So i let it. It - i've since installed each Bios twice just for the "warm and fuzzy" factor

fwiw

Z87-plus%20win%208%2064x_zpsez94fsow.png

just read that superuser link - wasn't aware the updater requires windows nor of the warning not to use. Interesting part that poster had to rollback his bios to 1804 release to resolve the same issue as the OP here

that's what I was saying to go back and start with the first bios that supported the refresh chips and do thing I guess the right way [ what ever that is with the flashing ??]

little things like this is why I don't use asus anymore ? thing is like he said the board came with the latest bios and it still don't seem to support the chips I guess ?? did asus flash there own board correctly ??

if it was shouldn't the refresh chips just be a drop it in and fire it up deal ??

to be frank, i can't say i'm overly impressed with the software / utilities from asus - one example, i ran my mobo for 3 months, doing a ton of video file rendering, relying on the asus performance monitoring utility that came in AI Suite III. It never showed a temp higher than 67C and would show that temp after the first few minutes of turning the computer on till i shut it down 8 hours later.

I downloaded RealTempGT and almost had a heart attack when i saw temps in the 96-100C when rendering video files - downloaded intel's XTU (extreme tuning utility) and saw the same temps. I un-installed the AI Suite III and a lot of small isues went away as well.

then the other day found a device in device manager listed as "unknown device" and using the windows update auto function, it downloaded a driver but indicated it did not install successfully - but at least it identifiedf the driver, AMDA00 Interface. I remembered there was a driver on the asus dvd that came with my mobo, got it, tried to re-install it, it showed successful installation, identifying it as the "PROBE II Sense" driver but I still had the yellow triangle alarm next to "unknown device". Did some research on both "AMDA00 Interface" and the PROBE II Sense driver were defective (so described on the microsoft download forums by two moderators) and problematic and been this way since late 2011 (kudos Asus, i know you'll get around to it eventually). But back to point, this driver causes BSODs etc - major headaches and the easiest way to resolve it is to simply dis-able the "unknown device".

I couldn't believe the difference, my boot time dropped from 22-25 seconds to 10-12 seconds. Other users reported the same experiencce, with the speculation that windows is looking for the driver for that unknown device and finally times out and continues with the boot up.

but when i research the other boards, i see the same sort of experiences - i think the business model in the industry is to get the new motherboards out as fast as possible and fix any issues later with software updates but don't lose sales to your competitors for not having product out there to compete with them.

it could be worse - it could be 1995 and we're dealing with windows 95 - for those that don't remember, there are three great disasters in the 20th century - the atomic bomb on hiroshima, the nuclear reactor meltdown at chernobyl, and windows 95.

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Original Ralph: Thanks a lot for your "cute & paste". When I search for BIOS updates, usually I finish automatically with the ASUS site for Argentina (my country),
and I swear that you can only download the latest BIOS (2103) of any option. Looking for the US site I find all the releases, so I can now try to downgrade
the BIOS to the first version supporting I7-4790K . Hope thats work....

I feel for you it stinks to have invested in nice parts just to run in to things like you are ... just look up stuff like what I linked to you on this and see what folks with the same issue did to resolve and what to do and not to do ..

hope it all works out , good luck

ah ha, now your stmts are making sense to me - i didn't realize asus didn't show the same material on all their websites.

and the "cut and paste" is a "snippet" - a handy feature in windows - go to start>all programs>accessories>snipping tool and select it. It lets you take a picture of whatever is on your display screen or any portion of it - comes in pretty handy.

Good luck resolving your issue

For the sake of it, i would clear CMOS before downgrading or upgrading BIOS releases, just to be on the safe side

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

lujanrd

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
junkeymoney: Yes and no. If you go to CPU Support, choose the Intel CPU you want, click "GO" and you download all the time the BIOS last release, despite the Intel model. But, if you click on "Drivers & Tools", certainly you can choose the BIOS release. So I must go first to CPU support, select the BIOS release I want linked to the CPU model, then to "Drivers & Tools" and download the selected BIOS. My error was to remain stuck with CPU Support, and I didn't realize that, until the post from The Original Ralph. (Oh, how I love all these tricks on ASUS site, it's seems like an episode from "Sherlock Holmes", in a new Season 4, perhaps?). By the way, I asked 4 times for help at ASUS since march 26th, and waiting....

Status
Not open for further replies.