Question Asus z97-a motherboard NO POST

AmjadAlsati

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
Greetings from Germany guys,

I have been using an Asus z97-a mothboard (LGA 1150 socket) with i7-4790k processor since 2015. Last year (in 2020), I went to sleep to wake up the next day and the computer is not working. I took the motherboard out of its case and detached the the graphic card, hard drives and kept only memory and CPU. I tried to turn it on but it rarely POST. It is either getting stuck on the CPU_LED or the RAM_LED or the graphic card led or the hard drive led (every time something different). I tried using a different power supply and the problem is the same. I rested the BIOS using the jumpers and also by removing the battery. I also ordered new batteries and place them. Nothing of the aforementioned solutions worked. Now I turn on the motherboard it get suck on the RAM_LED. If I removed the RAM, the computer starts giving me beep codes that there are no RAMS (it is passing the CPU_LED stage). It is good let you know that the order where the motherboard checks for its components are the following : CPU -> RAMS -> Graphic card -> Hard drive. The behavior is so random and therefore I can't determine what is really the problem. It is so often whenever I try to turn it on, the the motherboard light up till the RAMs stage then I can see the power supply turns off and on again trying to start the POST process again. Also, I tried placing two rams 8 GB each into different slots of the motherboard but it never worked as well. I am suspecting a dead bios chip but I am so discouraged to buy one and then it turns out there's a short in the motherboard somewhere. What do you think I should do? Maybe someone had similar problem and can confirm me it's a bios chip failure? I appreciate all responses.

Best regards
Amjad

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It'd help us paint a clearer picture if you included your full system's specs, since a system is built using more than just the motherboard and processor(and a generic PSU). You should also include the make and model of the PSU and it's age(as well as the donor PSU used).

As for your inquiry about a bad BIOS, the BIOS chip is located next to where the SLI logo on the PCB is. You can source a replacement BIOS chip from Ebay and then give the system a whirl. However this is assuming that the PSU you're using isn't a bad unit and it didn't fry the capacitors or other electrical components on your motherboard(and you're electrically sound, i.e, no grounding issues).

AmjadAlsati

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Here is a full list of my build:
PSU: EVGA 500W 80PLUS
CPU: Intel I7-4790k
motherboard: Asus z97-a
RAMS: Corsair vengeance 2x 16 GB (8 GB each)
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
GPU: GTX 750 TI. (I was using GTX 1070 Zotac mini when the PC stopped working then I the GPU since then)
SSD: 256 gb: Crucial BX500 CT240BX500SSD1 (Z) 240GB Internal SSD

I got a used motherboard(MSI B85M-E45) from Ebay today and I installed the CPU, FAN and 1 ram stick. The problem persists. No beep codes at all. Whenever I remove the ram stick, the speaker start giving me ONE long beep code. I am starting to believe it is a dead CPU but I am still not sure.

I bought all components (including PSU) in 2015 so they are around 6 years old. I would appreciate any help or advice.