Asus Z97-K not detecting cpu fan but the fan/liquid cooling is working

Jun 25, 2018
I've had an Asus Z97-K with an NZXT Kraken X40 liquid cooling system on my CPU for 4 years with no issues.

Sorry for the long post but I'll try to get as much detail as I can. I can also add pictures of the Speedfan and other monitoring software if needed. Please let me know if I should post this in the components section instead.

Last night I accidentally hit the reset button on the power strip that my computer is plugged into while i was in the middle of a game. Now every time that I start up my computer I get a CPU fan error and it wants me to go into the BIOS to fix it. When i enter the BIOS it cant detect my CPU fan but it does detect and show one of my case fans on CHA_Fan2.

I tried unplugging the connector from the CPU fan on the motherboard and plugging it in to CHA_Fan1 since that is open on my motherboard but it was not able to detect a fan on that either.

My CPU fan as well as the front and back case fans are running just fine and the radiator below the CPU fan is not hot even during gaming.

EDIT:
I found an outdated driver for the NZXT cooling system in my device manager. I updated that and now the NZXT CAM software recognizes my cooling system and gives cooling system temps and it shows CPU fan speed. Bios and speedfan both dont recognize cpu fan speed. Still getting the CPU Fan Error on startup. I went into the bios and set it to ignore the cpu fan rpm warning.

Should I not even be worried about the cpu fan speed on a liquid cooled cpu? I found a couple threads on different sites saying the cpu fan speed is not needed for liquid cooled.

I'm going to try and call iBuyPower tomorrow and see if they maybe set cpu fan warning to ignore by default on their liquid cooled builds and maybe I reset something in the bios with the surge from turning off the power strip? I remember an Asus screen telling me it was going into trip protection so maybe that was when some of the settings were put back to default.

The only component I've changed on my computer was a new graphics card(gtx760 -> gtx1080) about a month ago and I have had no issues with that. Otherwise all components are original from when I purchased the computer. I've made sure all connections to the motherboard are seated properly and checked the cables behind the panel in the computer and nothing is frayed or disconnected.

Thanks!

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
The AIO coolers connect to the CPU_FAN to supply a tach signal so that you don't get that warning. Typically the value supplied is some derivative of the pump speed. I would be concerned that this isn't working - even though the pump is otherwise operating properly, you've lost a key early warning indicator of a pump failure.

My suggestion would be to contact NZXT technical support. And updating the driver isn't going to help you; this is happening at a far lower level than the driver.