Question Asus Z97 Pro: Possible upgrade options?

Nov 28, 2019
Hello everyone! :)

I've been lurking, and absorbing your knowledge for quite a while now. This forum has been an invaluable resource during these years. I have learned a great deal. Now, the time has come for me to finally ask for your expertise directly. I hope you don't mind.

What I would like to do is upgrade my existing rig. It's 4.5 years old, has served me very well, and it's time it got some more love. My computer configuration is as follows:

MBO: ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket 1150
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K, 3500 MHz
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 DC2OC, 4 GB DDR5
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage, 1600 MHz, 16 GB (2x8)
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro, 256 GB, SATA 3
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700W Gold
Cooler: Thermaltake NIC C4

This thread here has been an inspiration. My idea is to buy a Samsung SSD m.2, an adapter, and slap that into the PCIEX16_3 slot at the bottom of the board. Next idea is buying another Strix GTX970 graphics card in decent working condition, plugging that into the PCIEX16_2 slot, and firing up SLI for the first time in my life.
Finally, I'm thinking of buying two more 8 GB RAM modules in order to upgrade to a grand total of 32 GB RAM. Not really sure if this is really needed, but RAM is rather cheap so why the hell not.

Does my plan make sense?
Will everything work as I have imagined it?
Do I need to upgrade the CPU as well?
Will my PSU be adequate for additional hardware?

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. 🤩

USAFRet

Titan
RAM - Unless you are actually running out at the current 16GB, adding more won't do anything magical.
And, mixing RAM might not work at all.

SSD - If you're planning on just using it as a secondary drive, and you can get it cheap, go for it.
Trying to make it the OS/boot drive won't give any great performance boost over your current 850.

GPU - SLI has mostly fallen by the wayside. Games need to be written to actually take that into account.