Asus Z97i-PLUS problem with RAM SLOT

Ilianbelev

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
Hello guys! I just bought MB Asus z97i-plus and i5 4690k and all other components for a PC... Im using cheap 2x GEIL 8gb ram and from the start I managed to install Win 8.1 pro and some drivers... Got like 3 BSODs and after that It got worse - I couldn't reach anywhere - PC just resetting 5 times and stuck before BIOS and for 1 time I got to BIOS and sow screen rendering and I can't turn the PC on - all it does is like resetting... Idk how i decided to remove 1 RAM stick from 1 slot and now its working fine... I changed the RAM sticks to try them - the conclusion is - when I got ram stick in that one particular SLOT the MACHINE STOPS.... What should I do - Whats the problem - the Mobo??... Please help and sorry for my poor English

Ilianbelev

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
Ok I reinstalled the CPU and guess what - Now it works with 16 gigs ram... The problem is probably like you suggested - overpressure on top of CPU. Actually i didn't do any change but now it works..probably I moved the cpu a bit... And one thing I noticed - the lever that holds the cpu is in my opinion TOO strong - It need a lot of force to close( to reach the 1 bolt that holds it).. Can I fix this if I unscrew It a bit??

Ilianbelev

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
I can easily let down the frame but when I have to put the leaver down under to lock it, it's too hard and I think I hear noise when I put down the leaver - noise like im puttin too much pressure to the pins...

Hi, I suggest removing the CPU and checking the CPU socket for bent pins. If no bent pins, try testing the board outside then case, for ruling out a short.
Make sure that the CPU cooler is not overtightened.
If still no go, then it might be a faulty RAM slot.
Its really frustrating working on ITX (even tho i love it) build so... when i received my mobo i had 2x8 GB, plugged them into the ram slots and only one worked (Slot 1)... i thought well one is f**** so send it back and i got refund, and left the build with 8GB for quite a long time (I'm usually doing the heavy lifting at work so... 8 was enough for home). Recently i decided to change that and i got another 8GB stick (found DA same), well for my surprise still Ram error light! Tried on another mobo, it runs perfect, so to my surprise i thought its faulty ram slot, until i found your comment, and i decided its time to stop being lazy and dismantle all to see the socket.
Well you guest it, 2 bend pins!!! I had them since day one, which is weird because it means i receive the mobo with bend pins.... Anyway long story short i was able to repair them (they wasn't that bend, just enough not to make contact). Some months now, all is good now and I decided to write for everyone who might have the problem, and also to thank to
alexoiu
Thank you!

Mobo is working with no other problems in ITX build for 4 years now!