Review Asus Zenbook S14 review: Intel Core Ultra 7 258V makes its debut

Nikolay Mihaylov

Commendable
Jun 30, 2022
Still no Thunderbolt 5?! Where it is, I am lost between your bloody lakes!
I don't care about TB5 at this point. Intel probably omitted it for fears of high power consumption.

What I find inexcusable, especially since the chip actually supports it, is the lack of a third TB port. There should have been one on the right so I can charge the laptop from whichever side is more convenient.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
This seems much less impressive compared to recent Intel marketing material that promised its new chips would blow the competition out of the water.
So, maybe Asus screwd up and didn't assemble a laptop with components that would synergistically help the new CPU/GPU shine in its brightest colors, but boy, this is certainly not a game changer, considering what could be expected based on Intel announcements some 2-3 weeks ago.

Reactions: TheSecondPower

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
From reading multiple reviews I think it's quite certain that the OLED display is completely removing Lunar Lake's battery life advantage. I'm still looking for a review that controls that variable. The multithreaded performance isn't really surprising given the limited core and thread count and the fact that the LPE cores aren't on the ring bus. The gaming performance looks like it's every bit as good as promised, although even that is hard to tell because the one reviewer I found turned frame generation on when testing the Ryzen 370! Also we haven't seen the 2-ish models that have higher clock speeds yet. The Geekbench single-threaded score shows a 12% improvement over the 155H which has the same boost clock speed, so that's very close to the 14% promised IPC increase. I'd like to see a great deal more lightly threaded tests.

But I was expecting more battery life and slightly more single-threaded performance. This is moving from Intel's "way behind" 4 node to TSMC's N3B, which is better than even the N3E node Apple M3 chips use. I'm revising my estimation of Intel as a CPU designer down a little bit and Intel as a CPU manufacturer up a little bit in light of this.

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
My take with this is to wait for more samples to surface to see the new processor in it's best possible light. This big change for intel chasing efficiency may require vendors to do more than simple processor swap.

Giroro

Splendid
The 17 (base) Watt Ultra 7 258V is getting compared to the 28W 155H instead of the 15W 155U, which makes it look inferior by losing the nuance of power efficiency. Similarly it's being compared to the 28W (default) Ryzen AI 9 HX 370... instead of some lower wattage Ryzen AI 7 part that probably has a U in the name and I don't think exists yet.

I'm not complaining. Intel deserves these comparisons for being terrible at naming their products, completely fumbling the branding for Lunar Lake, and generally failing to set customer expectations for what Lunar Lake is trying to accomplish.

It's a bummer for Intel that Lunar Lake scores lower than Apple M3 at geekbench. Because I think comparisons against the M3 is where Intel was trying to shine. I don't know how big of a difference Mac OS vs Windows makes in that benchmark, though.

Sep 24, 2024

mwm2010

Prominent
May 3, 2023
I'd rather get the AMD version that came out a month ago, at least until we get some GPU benchmarks. It's a good showing from Intel!

Sep 25, 2024
Typo on the article "On our battery test, the Zenbook S14 for an average of 14 hours and 7 minutes." but the graph shows 13 hours and 51 minutes. Also the wording is not right, should be "the Zenbook S14 lasted for"