Question Asus ZenWifi (AX6600) slow speeds :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlovBoy

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016
Hey guys!

Another one one of those "slow speeds" posts, but I ran into a bit of a snag

I received a 2x ZenWifi unit (as a present) which I plugged into my modem. Everything went fine with the setup.

However - I have a 1 GB/s connection and I am mostly getting 500-600 connection speeds (sometimes even 700). My wife - who has an iPhone 12 Pro Max - exceeded it and got 789.

When I use a wired connection, I get 1 GB/s easily.

It's odd because the other node is about 3 meters away, and the more I walk away from the main one - even when I'm next to them both - I get 500-600 which occasional dips to 400 and even 300!

They operate on 2.4 and 5 GHz channels respectively.

What is the issue here?

Help

EDIT - after further tests, the internet got even worse. It just drops the connection every now and again. So far it's stable, but if I close a door or just turn towards a corner I get sub-100 speeds - and that's just unacceptable.

EDIT 2:
I switched to AP mode and it increased the speed on my laptop to 937/235. I also activated Mu-Mimo features as well.

It even increased the speed on my wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max for the time being, but now it's back to 600-700 and we're next to the router.

The connection drops after a while and we need to connect to another 5ghz frequency.

EDIT 3:

I have three different networks I guess - the regular one (2.4) and two more We Are Andrzej Duda (inside Polish joke :D ) 5g-1 and 5g-2.

Looking at my Asus Router app:

View: https://i.imgur.com/pGEG2Qg.jpg
- the node carries 5g-1 and 2.4?

While the main one - that's 3 meters away - carries everything? Or 5g-2? It's wired via wireless backhaul. Or is it the other way around?

I got confused here.

Help :(

SlovBoy

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016
What I have is 3 SSID's.

One is 2.4 - operating on 20/40

The second is 5g-1 - operating on 80 - this is the only one I changed.

And the third one (that's in wireless backhaul) is operating on 20/40/60/80/160.

And the third one (that's in wireless backhaul) is operating on 20/40/60/80/160.

I think your expectation are wayyy too high for a wireless mesh system. If you had a wired backhaul to each access point, then you could expect to sustain a solid 600mbps at each node most of the time, but trying to maintain full wireless speed with a wireless backhaul at 80mhz channel width is a lofty expectation. Especially if you live in an area with other 5ghz devices broadcasting. There's aren't many 5ghz channels and if you're using 80mhz or 160mhz channel widths, interference is very likely which will slow you down.

You should probably just wait for Wifi 6E which will have several channels with 160mhz width.

SlovBoy

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016
I think your expectation are wayyy too high for a wireless mesh system. If you had a wired backhaul to each access point, then you could expect to sustain a solid 600mbps at each node most of the time, but trying to maintain full wireless speed with a wireless backhaul at 80mhz channel width is a lofty expectation. Especially if you live in an area with other 5ghz devices broadcasting. There's aren't many 5ghz channels and if you're using 80mhz or 160mhz channel widths, interference is very likely which will slow you down.

You should probably just wait for Wifi 6E which will have several channels with 160mhz width.

i'm just going by the many many many reviews and testimonials of people saying that these two devices are the <Mod Edit> and that it's a breeze with them when it comes to connectivity and speed.

Surprise surprise - connectivity is meh (I get sporadic connection losses probably 2-3 times a day for about 4 minutes) and the speed is less than stellar.

Especially when you consider that a product that costs almost 500 € does this. But, oh well.

I guess I'm gonna have to live with it until a better option comes through.

Just one more question, if I may:

In the Asus Router app (on Android) and the WebGUI my Internet Speed is measured as 937/212 (or something like that).

But when I go to Speedtest - it's 200-400?

What is the app showing me? My wired speed? Or my wireless speed?

Pictures - these 2 were taken at the same time:

View: https://i.imgur.com/i8dkIna.jpeg
(the WebGUI) - on my laptop

View: https://i.imgur.com/mrBtvuo.jpeg
(Asus Router App) - on my Mi 8

The regular Speedtest always averaged around 300-400 mb/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm just going by the many many many reviews and testimonials of people saying that these two devices are the <Mod Edit> and that it's a breeze with them when it comes to connectivity and speed.

Surprise surprise - connectivity is meh (I get sporadic connection losses probably 2-3 times a day for about 4 minutes) and the speed is less than stellar.

Especially when you consider that a product that costs almost 500 € does this. But, oh well.

I guess I'm gonna have to live with it until a better option comes through.

Just one more question, if I may:

In the Asus Router app (on Android) and the WebGUI my Internet Speed is measured as 937/212 (or something like that).

But when I go to Speedtest - it's 200-400?

What is the app showing me? My wired speed? Or my wireless speed?

Pictures - these 2 were taken at the same time:

View: https://i.imgur.com/i8dkIna.jpeg
(the WebGUI) - on my laptop

View: https://i.imgur.com/mrBtvuo.jpeg
(Asus Router App) - on my Mi 8

The regular Speedtest always averaged around 300-400 mb/s.

Your expectation for a wireless client with 2 antennae is just too high.

The internet tab measure the ethernet to modem speed on the WAN port of the router. That has nothing to do with your wifi. It's measuring the speed the ISP gives you.

Status
Not open for further replies.