Question Asus Zephyrus laptop keyboards, do they click as reported ?

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
i have an old Asus G75V laptop and its really getting too heavy for my lap (10 pounds). im on it from 4 to 14 hours a day (working at home for now) . my left leg has actually starting having issues. so i need something lighter. i see newer ROG are just 6 pounds so hopefully that would help. I read this review:

The Asus Zephyrus S17's optical-mechanical keys offer a uniquely tactile experience. Unlike the membrane keys of most laptop keyboards, these emit subtle yet high-pitched clicking sounds when pressed.

and it scared me. my old machine makes zero sound when i type on it. also i have what i consider normal keys but i see in some laptops they are membrane or other different things. theres no way i want any clicking when i type on any machine. so do the new machines click at all? i found this info in 2 editors reviews but havent been able to find it on any consumer reviews.

i have an old Asus G75V laptop and its really getting too heavy for my lap (10 pounds). im on it from 4 to 14 hours a day (working at home for now) . my left leg has actually starting having issues. so i need something lighter. i see newer ROG are just 6 pounds so hopefully that would help. I read this review:

The Asus Zephyrus S17's optical-mechanical keys offer a uniquely tactile experience. Unlike the membrane keys of most laptop keyboards, these emit subtle yet high-pitched clicking sounds when pressed.

and it scared me. my old machine makes zero sound when i type on it. also i have what i consider normal keys but i see in some laptops they are membrane or other different things. theres no way i want any clicking when i type on any machine. so do the new machines click at all? i found this info in 2 editors reviews but havent been able to find it on any consumer reviews.

If they made the keyboard to mimic a mechanical then yes it's very likely it can make a louder sound than a standard membrane keyboard. Not sure why that would scare you, many people like the keyboard sounds when typing, in fact searching for a nice sound is one if the distinctions of a mechanical keyboard that people search after.

If you read reviews that state the keys make some noise it's safe to assume that is what they do, those that don't mention it may not even think about it as a thing to talk about, like saying "this nice car has seats and a steering wheel", it's just there and many users have no idea it's any different or a feature. Professional IT people and reviewers are more aware of things, I would pay more attention to them.

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
i use this at home but even if i was in an office i cannot imagine people wanting to hear the click clack of a keyboard. i know i sure dont want it while i watch tv or talk to family members. it would drive me up the wall. my decade old machine doesnt click so i dont want the new one to click. its the equivalent of waterboarding to hear someone click loud. i found a vid online of how loud the new ROG machine is and holy cow. no way. couldnt get it if i wanted to. my old ROG doenst click at all. maybe i could transplant the keyboard :)

id buy the LG gram today because of the 3 pound weight but i need to find a solution to the glare screen

i use this at home but even if i was in an office i cannot imagine people wanting to hear the click clack of a keyboard. i know i sure dont want it while i watch tv or talk to family members. it would drive me up the wall. my decade old machine doesnt click so i dont want the new one to click. its the equivalent of waterboarding to hear someone click loud. i found a vid online of how loud the new ROG machine is and holy cow. no way. couldnt get it if i wanted to. my old ROG doenst click at all. maybe i could transplant the keyboard :)

id buy the LG gram today because of the 3 pound weight but i need to find a solution to the glare screen

You ever work in an office with old computers or typewriters? Now that is loud. People don't really use mechanical keyboards that are louder in areas with other people that are around all the time like co-workers or room-mates that are there often, that is bad form. I have a few quiet keyboards I use at work, but at home I have just a standard mechanical keyboard without any special quiet keys.

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
you got that right. bad form to use loud keyboards with others around! exactly what i want to avoid.

i had a guy in the office years ago that clipped his nails. my office there was dead silent with zero background noise. so i was scarred for life listening to that :)