Asus's Padfone Infinity: 5" 1080p Phone Turns Into 10" Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedaykinn

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I have to disagree... I have a Transformer Prime and I don't see how it is "crippled" in any way by Tegra3. I can play all the games in the market with no problems and run any application quite fast. I guess if you look only at certain benchmarks you could say something along those lines, but in "real world" use, the T prime with Tegra 3 has does everything very well. My only complay has nothing to do with the SoC, but with the range of the wifi, which is pretty short... everything else runs perfect.

G

Cool, but 1200$ price is a joke. You can get a high end phone and a tablet for that, and you'll end up with two devices usable at the same time.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]fedaykinn[/nom]I have to disagree... I have a Transformer Prime and I don't see how it is "crippled" in any way by Tegra3. I can play all the games in the market with no problems and run any application quite fast. I guess if you look only at certain benchmarks you could say something along those lines, but in "real world" use, the T prime with Tegra 3 has does everything very well. My only complay has nothing to do with the SoC, but with the range of the wifi, which is pretty short... everything else runs perfect.[/citation]
I'm a bit disapointed with my Tegra 3. I'm not so much of a tablet gamer, as a movie buff. The Tegra 3 is terrible when it comes to playing hi-definition movies (mkv, avi, etc) and can't seem to handle even some 720p mkv files. I hope Nvidia puts enough power in the Tegra 4 to play full 1080p mkvs'.

fedaykinn

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
In my experience it has less to do with the SoC than with the player you are using... I have a few movies in 1080p (of course, the prime doesn't reach 1080p so they are resized) and they play fine. I did notice however that the default Android player does not work too well.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]fedaykinn[/nom]In my experience it has less to do with the SoC than with the player you are using... I have a few movies in 1080p (of course, the prime doesn't reach 1080p so they are resized) and they play fine. I did notice however that the default Android player does not work too well.[/citation]
I wish it was just the player or the codec. I have MX Player, Rock Player, Dice, etc but they all have the same problem with stuttering frames, and lag.

fedaykinn

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Icemunk, Strange, I have no had those issues. I use Mobo, so might be that. I don't know, seems strange that the SoC could render games but not play 1080p. In any case, I don't doubt your issue of course, just say that I have not had any problems myself with Tegra3 and has been more than enough for all my uses. More power is always nice, but I don't see Tegra 3 as a failed SoC. Tegra 4 looks promising, but the great thing is that there are SO MANY promising chips these days, we are in the golden age of processors right now.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kompost[/nom]Cool, but 1200$ price is a joke. You can get a high end phone and a tablet for that, and you'll end up with two devices usable at the same time.[/citation]

Agreed. That level of pricing would be expected if this was some iMutation, but this is priced around 400-500 too high.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I got a TF101 when it released and was excited to have a tablet. But after smaller 7" tablets have come to market, I haven't touched my 10" tablet, and generally find it a very inconvenient size/form-factor. 7" is where it's at (for me), but I would be interested in a sort of padphone that uses a ~4.5" phone within a 7" tablet. Just don't know that there would be a lot of engineering space for that size. But I'd definitely be more interested in getting that vs. a 10" option.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
>_> for that price you can just buy a phone and a tablet, i mean u still have to carry the screen around if you want to use it as a tablet so whats the difference? except if you buy them separately you can use them both at the same time

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]>_> for that price you can just buy a phone and a tablet, i mean u still have to carry the screen around if you want to use it as a tablet so whats the difference? except if you buy them separately you can use them both at the same time[/citation]
I guess the difference would be a unified place for all of your files, and whether you'd have data plans for each device.

But I agree, that price is pretty absurd. Can't imagine if the phone handset sold by itself that it would be $600. So you're essentially paying another $600 for a screen with an additional battery. Yikes...

infernolink

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Watch> phone check
Phone > Tablet check
table+ keyboard> laptop Check
High power laptop> desktop check

Whats the point of all these different form factors when each is weaker then the last.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]infernolink[/nom]Watch> phone checkPhone > Tablet checktable+ keyboard> laptop CheckHigh power laptop> desktop checkWhats the point of all these different form factors when each is weaker then the last.[/citation]
Do you have a smartphone and use it? If so, then you've answered your own question.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]I wish it was just the player or the codec. I have MX Player, Rock Player, Dice, etc but they all have the same problem with stuttering frames, and lag.[/citation]
I personally have no problem playing any of my files up to 1080p on my N7 using BSPlayer.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]infernolink[/nom]Whats the point of all these different form factors when each is weaker then the last.[/citation]
Convenience.

A high power laptop is a lot easier to move around than a conventional PC.
A tablet is a lot more convenient to carry around than a laptop when you do not need the laptop's physical keyboard (worst case, use a BT keyboard on the tablet), processing power or storage.
A smartphone is more convenient than a tablet when you do not need the larger screen and you almost always have it with you regardless of whatever else you usually travel with anyway.

Nothing to say about watches, ubiquitous smartphones have made them history for many people. The only watch I wear is a heart-rate monitor type and I only wear it during long (10+ km) bicycle rides.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]I'm a bit disapointed with my Tegra 3. I'm not so much of a tablet gamer, as a movie buff. The Tegra 3 is terrible when it comes to playing hi-definition movies (mkv, avi, etc) and can't seem to handle even some 720p mkv files. I hope Nvidia puts enough power in the Tegra 4 to play full 1080p mkvs'.[/citation]

I have the Asus Infinity and running 1080p movies is just as smooth as my PC. Of course I have mine's rooted and clocked to my likings. I haven't experience any lags or freezes as of yet.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]I'm a bit disapointed with my Tegra 3. I'm not so much of a tablet gamer, as a movie buff. The Tegra 3 is terrible when it comes to playing hi-definition movies (mkv, avi, etc) and can't seem to handle even some 720p mkv files. I hope Nvidia puts enough power in the Tegra 4 to play full 1080p mkvs'.[/citation]

My TF2 runs hd video just fine. You must have too many background apps/services running, or need to install a clean OS. Cyanogen is great this time of the year :)

Pricing on this is a bit ridiculous though. You could buy a surface rt, add bluestacks and have a mid tier winmo and android phone for the price of this, and I thought the Surface was overpriced....

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Fail concept, you can't use the phone and tablet at the same time.[/citation]
Hahaha! a five year old boy and his older sister just prove you wrong.

which is why this Asus's Padfone Infinityis not for me. :)

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Fail concept, you can't use the phone and tablet at the same time.[/citation]
I have to agree. I don't get the purpose of this. Why not just buy a tablet?

Ron Z

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I just got the China version of this device. It does NOT have Android 4.2 installed, but Android 4.1.2. Not sure where the reviewer is getting his information!

Status
Not open for further replies.