News Asus's RTX 4080 Noctua OC Edition Is Officially Available, Officially Huge

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
Why? Just why? When you can have an rtx 4090 for the price. This is a niche product that prices itself into oblivion.
I suspect the idea (from Asus and Noctua) is that there are specifically people that love Noctua's aesthetic. Maybe they hope these will be collector's items or something? But in general, yeah, it's priced at a silly level.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
$1650 for this huge monstrosity? Yikes. Just get a 4090. You can avoid the Asus tax, go with a brand with better reliability, and get a card that is more robust. This card looks like many corners were cut and compromises were made regarding build quality. The box even looks like it was designed by an intern. It'd be cheaper to buy a 3D printer, buy some Noctua fans, and DIY your own Noctua 40-series.

Also, is it just me or has Asus' quality been slipping badly since the pandemic? Their prices are going up, but their routers and motherboards in particular seem to have major firmware problems.

Reactions: KyaraM and PEnns

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Considering that Noctua's top cooler sells for $100, a $500 markup on a GPU using one of their products seems absurd.

Reactions: PEnns
Mar 20, 2023
What you are buying for this price premium is supposed lower fan noise. I cannot think of a more ridiculous way to blow an extra $500 than with this GPU. What's next out there in crazy GPU land, a Tomb Raider edition for the upcoming new game (in development now with the UT5 engine) that comes lined with real gold?
Yeah I don't get it. Even my MSI Ventus RTX 4080 with a Suprim X vbios doesn't get over 65°C while gaming and the fans are very quiet. Happy I didn't wait to get this Noctua card.

Reactions: KyaraM and 10tacle

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I suspect the idea (from Asus and Noctua) is that there are specifically people that love Noctua's aesthetic. Maybe they hope these will be collector's items or something? But in general, yeah, it's priced at a silly level.

I only like the idea of being able to easily pop in new fans if something happened, otherwise I think it's dumb personally. No game has broken 71c on my 4090 nor gotten loud.

So in my mind the only thing it has going for it is user serviceable (easily) fans but honestly how often do GPU fans go bad?

Reactions: KyaraM

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
Sticking with my 3080 12GB (nearly a 3080Ti) model for a good while. Barely slower than a 4070TI at 3440x1440p, and still getting my 175FPS in all but a few AAA games.

Can I "suffer" at 96 FPS in a few single-player, offline games (which is all I play)? YUP

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I'm genuinely curious what kind of an imbecile would buy a 4080 at $1,649 MSRP , when they can buy a 4090 at this price. I know the world is full of dumb people, but this seems like really pushing it.
It would need a lot more than turd-brown fans, to get me to part with that much money.

Some knobbers, with more money than sense, will buy it...