Question Asynchronous Dual Channel RAM Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2019
My new laptop came with a SK Hynix 8GB 2666MHz RAM (Model Number HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK). I purchased a Crucial 8GB 2666MHz RAM (Model Number CT8G4SFS8266.M8FE) stick to have a dual channel RAM setup to boost its Radeon GPU's performance. As it was advertised, the Crucial RAM seemed to match the pre-installed RAM's frequency, latency, voltage, etc. However, when I ran CPU-Z after installing it, there were a few differences in the JEDEC frequencies, RAS# to CAS#, tRAS and tRC, which I suspect is making this an asynchronous dual channel setup.

Getting a second matching stick and installing it is a bit of a hassle, especially since I'd need to remove my computer's bottom cover, and those latches are a bit flimsy. As such, I'd prefer to avoid having to re-install a RAM stick unless the gains are worth it. To that end:

(1) I've heard that having two asynchronous RAM stick can affect stability, though IIRC I've only heard of there being problems when the RAM were of different capacities. Could there be any stability or other serious issues with the current setup?

(2) If I'm running some games on this computer, how much of a difference in performance (e.g., framerate) would there be between this setup and, say, a matching pair of Crucial RAM?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 17, 2019
Yeah, it looked like the computer was using the Crucial RAM timings. I'm a bit worried about the performance, though, since in the memory tab it says the NB frequency is 598.8 MHz and the DRAM Frequency is 400.0 MHz (and the FSB:DRAM says "asynch.").

Status
Not open for further replies.