At $621 Billion, Apple is Most Valuable Company Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"At $621 Billion, Apple is Most Valuable Company Ever"...
"The previous record holder was Microsoft, which peaked on December 30, 1999 at $660 billion."

Most valuable company ever?

G

you guys should be reading zerohedge dot com for you financial news. It's a good antidote to the typical coverage (sheeple, muppets...)

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Apple is doing something right. Their closed system pisses me off, but its a pleasure to use at times. I build my own W7 systems, and am using one right now and wouldn't buy myself an iMac or w/e. But I would never buy a W7 phone. Android, sure.

People can scream "isheep" all they want, but facts are facts. This company is doing something right to be making a fortune and at the same time keeping their customers happy.

Blue sucker, red sucker, we all have our own taste.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It is a 'paper' value only, and not corrected for inflation.
But what do most Journalists know about math and economics...

The company has no hard assets except for a shiny office building, no manufacturing. The majority of it's suppliers are overseas and so are the majority of the jobs the business created. Talk about a disservice the the US economy and our Import/Export balance sheets with Korea and China.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am going to come out and say it... Toms I understand u might like apple a lot thats ok to each there own but making blatantly wrong statements is just wrong.

The title reads "At $621 Billion, Apple is Most Valuable Company Ever"

Where in the article you state
The previous record holder was Microsoft, which peaked on December 30, 1999 at $660 billion. Microsoft is valued at $257.1 billion today

Toms is really starting to ruin there reputation as a news source. I wanted to read apple fanism then I would go hit up a Apple Forum. I personally prefer to get unbiased news that is complete and accurate.

Not the gibberish I seen lately either your amateur news bloggers are your serious Journalist. I think its time to decide and I think its only right you do for people who do read toms news.

apple_good_guys

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Just goes to show that if you make a great product, great things happen!

Customers choose Apple products, because they are extremely well-rounded - powerful, easy to use, beautiful, and function as advertised.

Kudos to Apple. This is the ultimate rags to riches story. They really earned this milestone!

G

Some adult child in his basement with multiple accounts has been thumbing down every comment. I will likely get the most thumbed down...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Morning news today said that adjusted for the value of the dollar/inflation, at MS's peak, they were worth ~$850billion in today's dollars. So not technically the most valuable company ever.

Also, Tom's own numbers contradict themselves: MS peak valuation (not adjusted for inflation/dollar) was $660Billion. Apple's peak valuation is $623Billion. Not seeing where 623 > 660.

Of any current company valued today, they are at the top.

Regardless, throughout their time, Apple has accomplished a lot...FOR ME TO POOP ON!!! I KEED, I KEED!!!

Corrected for inflation, Microsoft was worth around $850BN at their peak, so Apple still has a way to go to surpass them.

apple_good_guys

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]LOL, this must be the most thumbed-down thread I've seen here on Tom's. The trolls have come out for sure. Wonder how many fake accts. someone made just to repeatedly thumb-down all these posts...[/citation]

You trolls are unbelievable. Apple is listed as the most valuable company ever. This is factual. There is no disputing it. But because the usual (tired and lame) comments trolling Apple didn't get voted up, now all of a sudden, it's someone from multiple accounts doing it?

Grow up.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This is akin to touting current box office numbers as records but movie tickets are 5X the price now as they were with the movies that is being compared to.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well, they do build amazing device for the tech impaired (my mom for example, she never uses the PC anymore after having an iPad). And for the tech savvy, like me, all it takes is a Jailbreak to make it do everything I want. Yeah its' closed system is annoying for many, but they really are good devices (except for the Mac computers).

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I know a lot of people don't like Steve Jobs. Reason? I don't know, but all I know is Apple won't be what it is today without him. Also, Steve Job is NOT one of the richest persons in the world, not even close to top....100? but people still call him "greedy"

G

freggo nailed it, you have to adjust for inflation, which is why the iPR companies are voting him/her down. When I was a kid, gas was less than a dollar a gallon, and groceries cost a fraction of what they do now, it's a little thing called inflation, thank the Federal Reserve for printing so much money to cover the cost of invading every country with oil.

Of course, plenty of people think Obama's deficit is higher than Regan, Bush or Bush because of the *slightly* bigger number... Well, guess what? The dollar was a lot more valuable before Regan, Bush and Bush devalued it so much. But hey "OMG, TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT, THAT IS TECHNICALLY A BIGGER NUMBER WHEN NOT ATTEMPTING TO CORRECT FOR INFLATION!!! WORST PRESIDENT EVAR!!!!! LESS ROADS, SCHOOLS AND SOCIAL SECURITY, MOAR WARS PLZ!!!!"

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Apple Fans: YEAH APPLE GO APPLE WHOOO!

M$ Fans: Does this account for inflation? Is this a serious article?

Linux Fans: What article? Get out of here, I'm busy.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
LOL What is going on? You're all calling troll and fanboy yet you're all (for the most part) showing a personal bias toward said company under attack!

You're allow to have a preference. So are other people! I love my Android phone, but I'm all about the options and the trial and error. I'm all about risking the phone being operational for a few extra tweaks. Apple phone users are about the reliability and the study firmware. It's a damn preference!

No one cares; I repeat, NO ONE cares about which phone you prefer. If you're going to sit back and call another phone shit just because it doesn't do what you want, you're an idiot. Just as bad as the people who use things outside their intended purpose and when it breaks, complain it's garbage.

This militant devotion to corporations needs to end. Pick a product, if it works for you great. If not, try another one. We live in a time when there are a million people offers the same services with varying cost and quality. You have choices. Stop denying yourself, and others, the enjoyment that comes from making these choices by being downright ignorant and misinformed about them.

You're like the gossiping girl in a group of women. No one likes you because of it, and sooner or later its going to cost you.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]nuvon[/nom]I know a lot of people don't like Steve Jobs. Reason? I don't know, but all I know is Apple won't be what it is today without him. Also, Steve Job is NOT one of the richest persons in the world, not even close to top....100? but people still call him "greedy"[/citation]
Read the Steve Jobs Biography, or any (trustworthy) recounts of his life. He was generally an awful person for most of his life. I'm not discounting the impact he had on Apple the company over its lifetime (and of course, Apple wouldn't have existed without him), but IMHO, his contributions to the tech industry don't excuse his truly terrible actions throughout his entire life, how he mentally and verbally abused people, lied and stole to get ahead.

I picked up the SJ biography because I was hoping/expecting to glean some sort of insight into his life, hoping that he wasn't the villain that most portrayed him to be. I was sadly disappointed, and he really was an awful person.

[citation][nom]nuvon[/nom]I know a lot of people don't like Steve Jobs. Reason? I don't know, [/citation]
There is a simple reason for that. Just look at Apple's patent trolling in the last few years, and remember that all this cretinism was started by Jobs' extremist ideas about what tech should be.
Initially, around the time of that interview, Jobs was indeed a brilliant marketer. No, he did not personally invent anything (although he took the implied credit for everything good that came to Apple after that, forget the army of designers, software and hardware both, that worked their arses off for this company; can any of you name one single time where credit was publicly given to any of these designers, for instance?...didn't think so), but he had a good idea in that speech.

Unfortunately, he turned from being a Lenin of Apple revolution into a Stalin, hell-bent in going after anything and everything that posed a significant threat to his empire. From patent-trolling to injunctions, him and his followers never spared a dime to that end, even if that meant taking away from actual innovation (incremental upgrades that are gradually disabling older gen devices, forcing customers to buy the newer ones again and again are not exactly innovative). Plenty of Apple customers out there pissed off because of that.
Add to that the fact that they are resorting exactly to the same tactics they are accusing their competition of (stealing and then shamelessly patenting the stolen tech, usually open source so they can not fight back on patent grounds), and you have a great picture of what this empire's vision has become for the tech world: a world-wide army of drones, all using the same device, all looking the same and without anything to individualize them.
Luckily, there are more than 60% of mobile users in the world that believe there is something wrong with that picture (not to mention that the MacOS presence in the desktop/notebook world is symbolic at best), and that's why I believe there will always be an alternative to this grey-with-a-fruit-logo bleak tech future.
I. personally, don't have a dog in this fight, and that is the advantage of using an open OS: I can like a manufacturer today, but if they let me down tomorrow, I can as easily turn to another one. THAT is what Jobs hated the most, people having other choices besides his company's products.

I hated the fact that he died still young, nobody should go like that, but that was the best thing to happen to the tech world. Sad, but true. Just like he turned his company for the better at first, he single-handedly turned it into the equivalent of the communist Russia at the apex of Stalin's dictatorship.
A lot of people have it in them to become great leaders, but very few have it in them to bear that greatness. One dude that did - and still does that_ is Gates, an example of great humanitarian, envied by Jobs for that effortless class act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS