At a cross roads

Chris Symons

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I went to school back in 2009 for computer repair got my A+ cert back then and didn't get anywhere as far as a computer repair position. So I went to school for automotive repair and same thing no (work experience) in that field as well. I wanted to try getting back and job searching in that field. I have worked on computers from the age of 15 up until now as far as my stuff and friends,and family I am 29 now. I was checking at PC Age to go back to school networking etc i'd have to take out a loan for $20,000 for their school and they train for Comptia certs however i'm not sure I want to have to re pay a big loan all over again just to have it lead to (No experience). I search job sites and maybe it's just where I live in NJ that there's really not too many I.T positions. I find stuff closer to NYC but it's entry level part time stuff where you have to take your car to certain job sites and where these jobs are it's close to 2 hours away. Not sure if I should just give up or what. I'd greatly appreciate some feedback. THanks everyone.

-Chris

Solution
You have to be very careful with schools. Remember, people like you are their source of income. The will tell you what you want to hear to get your money. Don't go to a trade school unless they are successful at actual job placement.

You can also always try starting up your own business. If you are only able to find part time work, try to get something that will allow you to do something on the side. It's pretty easy to start an LLC and do some basic advertising on Google.
If you really want to work in IT, you will probably need to start entry-level until you can get experience. If you are capable, you will either quickly work your way up or be able to leverage your new experience into getting a new position.

Chris Symons

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
So just keep trying and put school on hold for now? I will keep plugging away and see what more entry level I can find. Thanks for your help :)

You have to be very careful with schools. Remember, people like you are their source of income. The will tell you what you want to hear to get your money. Don't go to a trade school unless they are successful at actual job placement.

You can also always try starting up your own business. If you are only able to find part time work, try to get something that will allow you to do something on the side. It's pretty easy to start an LLC and do some basic advertising on Google.

Solution

Chris Symons

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Thanks you've been a big help. The last school I went to was a private school and promised the moon and stars and I started the courses back then and it was a joke and they didn't teach you much I only managed to get my A+ out of that and now the school isn't even around anymore. The other school I was looking at seemed a bit sketchy too they had career placement like the last school but it sounds like they don't do much for you. Maybe i'll try doing the computer repair business like you've suggested.

12GaugeShotty

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
I would focus on corporate jobs and not the entry level field support (PC repair) type jobs. Those can wear you out, put miles on your vehicle and are a waste of time. Find a good corporate company and start at the Help Desk. Use networking at that company to learn from others. Most people in IT are a wealth of information and LOVE to share it. You can also get far through books. You do not need official classes to learn and get a certification. Also look at what certifications you want. Networking (CCNA), Microsoft server (MCSE) and even information security (CISSP) are the direction to go.

TRENDING THREADS