[SOLVED] At a loss with settings. PC constantly freezing.

Sep 14, 2019
Hello and thanks for reading. I've been struggling with this problem for the better part of a year and no matter how many settings I try, freezing is a constant problem. I'm not very savvy at bios settings so please go easy on me lol. This was prebuilt from a previous owner and after I installed a new hard drive, the problems began. I'm almost positive that there's something in settings that's being missed. So far, I've tried deep cleaning, reseating cpu, reapplying thermal compound, installing new gpu, numerous bio configurations... Other sources suggest a failing psu. Other than that, I'm open to all advice. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, not sure how to add images without using url, so here's the CPU-Z validation link.
https://valid.x86.fr/7671fm

Solution
Your cooler is called an AIO(all in one)
Possibly your aio is not operating properly.
Sometimes the liquid lines get clogged or the pump fails.
If you touch the pump, you should feel it vibrating as it spins.

For the freezing issue, what you are looking for is a max temperature that might cause throttling.
I think that temperature is around 70c.

The motherboards can also heat up and cause problems.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps much, you have a cooling problem.

Ultimately, I would not spend much on fixing up a FX system unless it can be moved to a new build.
The FX line is largely obsolete.
What is the make/model of your psu?

FX-9590 is a very hot and power hungry processor.

But, I can't really see that adding a hard drive would be enough to cause a problem.

What is your case and cpu cooler?
Heat on the motherboard and processor is always an issue with FX processors.
Run HWmonitor to get your current, min and max temperatures.

Sep 14, 2019
Thanks for the fast reply. The case is a Cooler Master HAF XB EVO with closed loop, single fan cooling. I'll post HWmonitor after some readings.

PSU is Thermaltake Smart650w
SP-650AH2NCBA

Your cooler is called an AIO(all in one)
Possibly your aio is not operating properly.
Sometimes the liquid lines get clogged or the pump fails.
If you touch the pump, you should feel it vibrating as it spins.

For the freezing issue, what you are looking for is a max temperature that might cause throttling.
I think that temperature is around 70c.

The motherboards can also heat up and cause problems.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps much, you have a cooling problem.

Ultimately, I would not spend much on fixing up a FX system unless it can be moved to a new build.
The FX line is largely obsolete.

Solution
Sep 14, 2019
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on temps but so far the only one that is high is the gpu, at around 65. With fan speed nearing max, that's as low as it will go. Cpu is steady in the 40-50 range. Also, the AIO seems to be running correctly but it could also be from the other fans on gpu running high? I'll try the fan bit and see what comes of it.

To note, while getting part number off cooler, I dismantled, cleaned and removed cpu. During inspection I noticed a very small fiber lodged in the prongs on cpu, though I can't say if this was during removal. After all cleaned up, I set ram to run at 1333mhz with all power saving options turned off in bios. Everything else is default f5 options.

1333 MHz is a slow speed for an FX processor. You can use 1600MHz with two DIMMs per channel. You can use 1866MHz with one DIMM per channel. The Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z is a dual channel motherboard.

I can see your using 2400MHz memory which is way out in the extremes for any FX processer, especially with all four slots populated. You should be able to manually run the four modules at 1600MHz.

Your memory part numbers indicate your using multiple kits of memory. Memory manufacturers won't guarantee compatibility when using more than one kit of memory. I suggest you remove one kit and manually set memory to 1866MHz with two modules.

No doubt the problem is your choice of memory.

That CPU needs air flowing on the area surrounding the CPU socket in addition to a robust AIl-in-One Liquid CPU cooler. A 240mm .vs your smaller 120mm size AIO cooler is preferred.

As Calvin indicated, robust Cooling necessary. Stable power delivery also a must.

Your CPU is a 220 Watt part, AT STOCK settings.

a 4x configuration for memory is harder on the memory controller. As previously indicated, as a trouble shooting step you can remove 2 sticks of RAM and test for stability.

How is your case cooling setup? Dedicated airflow over the VRM's is sometimes necessary. With the horizontal case design, I am assuming your AIO is mounted in the back of the case? Is this set to exhaust air OUT, or is it drawing air IN?

For stability testing, you can also try going into the BIOS and turning off a CPU core or two. Check your per core temp and select the hottest one(s) if possible

Sep 14, 2019
Hey, checking in with the house fan attempt. It seems cooling is the issue, but it never really seemed that way as using speedfan and ati tray app wasnt showing anything too hot. Big thanks for showing me this. As for the memory, I'll give the testing a go and see if any of those setting would work better. I'm glad people like you are out there to help with these questions...I know very little. I'll check in again after running the new settings a while. Thanks again!