Question At every system start, GS43VR acts as if "AltGr" is always pressed

Nov 20, 2020
Good morning you all!

Everytime I start (or restart) my laptop it acts as if "AltGr" (and, more recently, "Ctrl") is being held down.

This started out of nowhere, about two months after I replaced my battery (which, by the way, is working just fine). At first, it was a pretty random and bizarre behavior; either on start up or after a short period of use it would act as if the "AltGr" was being held down (therefore, the keyboard was completely unusable, except for shortcuts and special characters). This was confirmed by looking at the on-screen virtual keyboard (the "used" or "stucked" keys were always highlighted in blue) and could be temporarily "fixed" by pressing these same keys both on the laptop and on the virtual keyboard at the same time (or, sometimes, one after another) - and the same thing would happen if the on-screen was "replaced" by an external USB keyboard.

I've tried formatting, updating the BIOS, the firmware, and doing an EC reset, but the problem persisted.

Finally, I decided to start and, then, restart the laptop with its "AltGr" key being physically held down and this, apparently made the problem more "manageable" and its now happening solelly once at every start and restart - being temporarily "fixed" by pressing and holding the laptop's keyboard "Alt" and, if necessary, "Ctrl" keys for a couple of seconds. Then it's gone! everything works fine, till the next restart...

Additionally, this is not related to "Sticky Keys" and is not restricted to Windows - as it also happens on the UEFI BIOS - nor to the laptop keyboard - given that the same thing happens with any USB keyboard attached. Whenever and wherever it happens (BIOS, Windows, etc) the "workaround" is, also, pretty much the same

All drivers and function keys are fine and the only other strange behavior is SteelSeries 3 not detecting the laptop's keyboard.

Maybe it's a short circuit (I don't know), at first, it was very random and almost chaotic; but now its acting as if was a software related thing, and it started to behave in a methodical, predictable and easily manageable (I just need to do a simple two-step process, every time the laptop starts and then it's all gone).

I'm at a total loss here. Any ideas?

PS: "Ctrl + Alt + Delete", also, doesn't work on the laptop keyboard (just on external keyboards) - the keys work normally if pressed independently and other two ou three-keys command work just fine too....

Last edited: 4 minutes ago

Nov 20, 2020
Quick update...

I've already updated my EC firmware, at least to the latest version listed in the "GS43Vr support website".
I've also uninstalled the Keyboard through Device Manager and, YES, this solved the problem, at least in Windows.
For now, I managed to "fix" the problem by disabling the laptop's "Alt Gr" key in windows, editing its registry. But, again, this is far from being a proper fix, but just a workaround - given that, in order to use the BIOS or start a SO installation I will need to try something like the "temporary fix" I mentioned before (i.e., inside Windows, pressing and holding the laptop's keyboard "Alt", "Alt Gr" and, if necessary, "Ctrl" keys for a couple of seconds, and then restarting ... Or starting the laptop and entering the BIOS with these keys pressed, making the necessary changes and exiting without ever releasing them).

And that means that the problem IS related mainly to the Laptop's keyboard ... but if its is a kind of short circuit, then why this methodical, predictable and easily manageable behaviour?
I really think it is more of an EC problem than something specifically related to the keyboard's harware, but I don't know... maybe some hardware problems are easily mediated by simple software alterations...

Any guess?