Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anybody have info or opinions on the differences (sound &
otherwise) between the Pro37 & the 3031

Thanks

"gil" <gregory.c.gilmore@citigroup.com> wrote in message news:<1110474133.383102.81580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> Does anybody have info or opinions on the differences (sound &
> otherwise) between the Pro37 & the 3031
>
> Thanks

hi,

I have some Pro37, use them for overheads and hats in the live rig and
i have to say they are great. I would say the sound is quite flat and
honest and they aren't too susceptible to feedback like some other
cheaper condensers (akg 1000 i find terrible). I got the tip for them
from researching archives in this group; they seem to be a bit of an
unknown hero. The price is the really great part. Can't comment on the
3031, haven't heard them, I see them listed for twice the pro 37.
hope this is of some help,
Hugh.

sorry gil,

thought i was on the live forum there for bit, haven't tried pro37 in
studio yet but for overheads live they work great (certainly compare
well to anything else for that price).
Hugh.

"gil" <gregory.c.gilmore@citigroup.com> wrote in message

> Does anybody have info or opinions on the differences (sound &
> otherwise) between the Pro37 & the 3031

I don't know anything about the 3031, but my AT Pro 37s are permanent
dust-gatherers in my mic cabinet on the grounds of harshness. Now, if you
want a really pretty harsh cardiod, they are great.

For a while they were being widely pushed as an entry-level choir mic. Next.

Hugh Fox wrote:
> "gil" <gregory.c.gilmore@citigroup.com> wrote in message news:<1110474133.383102.81580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
>
>>Does anybody have info or opinions on the differences (sound &
>>otherwise) between the Pro37 & the 3031
>>

> I have some Pro37, use them for overheads and hats in the live rig and
> i have to say they are great. I would say the sound is quite flat and
> honest and they aren't too susceptible to feedback like some other
> cheaper condensers (akg 1000 i find terrible). I got the tip for them
> from researching archives in this group; they seem to be a bit of an
> unknown hero. The price is the really great part. Can't comment on the
> 3031, haven't heard them, I see them listed for twice the pro 37.

I haven't heard the 3031 either, but I agree that the Pro37 is a pretty
useful mic. It does have a strong proximity effect, though, so be
careful when using it for close miking. It is good for drum overheads,
and can be good on acoustic instruments, especially those that aren't
bass heavy. For example, it's good on fiddle, banjo, and mandolin, but
I don't like it on acoustic guitar - at least not without very careful
placement.

I also used it quite successfully once to mic a choir. It wouldn't have
been my first choice, but I wanteded four identical mics and the Pro37
was the only mic that I had four of. It turned out to be a perfectly
reasonable choice. (The choir was divided into two parts, one on each
side of the room.)

Arny Krueger wrote:

> I don't know anything about the 3031, but my AT Pro 37s are permanent
> dust-gatherers in my mic cabinet on the grounds of harshness. Now, if you
> want a really pretty harsh cardiod, they are great.

> For a while they were being widely pushed as an entry-level choir mic. Next.

With what preamplifiers you have used them?

--
ha

Status
Not open for further replies.