AT&T, Google, Starbucks Join Wireless Power Consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Wireless power should be transmission of power through the air, i.e. Tesla Coils.
This is the same technology as what's in my wireless toothbrush. However, it's a step in the right direction. Although somewhat overpriced...

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Wireless power should be transmission of power through the air, i.e. Tesla Coils. This is the same technology as what's in my wireless toothbrush. However, it's a step in the right direction. Although somewhat overpriced...[/citation] If the induction energy was high enough to be transmitted from one end of your room to the other, you'd be fried in seconds. Besides, when your phone is on that powermat, there's air between your phone and that mat, a lot of air.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Why create another standard when Qi devices are already on the market? Qi is a standard put forth by the Wireless Power Consortium. It has many members are even supports both magnetic induction and magnetic resonance.

G

Last I checked there is no spec from PMA. Qi has a spec and a whole lot of devices using the standard. Its interesting that all these companies call these PMA compliant....its more like Powermat proprietary protocol compliant....It will be interesting when I take my ATT Lumia with Qi and try to charge at starbucks and it doesnt work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.