AT&T Shakes Up Data Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get two lines of unlimited talk, text and data from T-Mobile for about $73 a month total - permanently - because they gave me a loyalty deal. I'm pretty confident they're still making money on me, otherwise they wouldn't have offered it. Seeing this just makes me laugh, knowing how much it costs to provide the service versus what they actually charge.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah Snake, you do get what you pay for.....all that extra you pay for Verizon with 2GB of data which I can easily use (not at home) within a week. Keep playing into their hands and they'll keep charging an absurd amount of money for such little data...

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Living in the country, we do not have access to DSL, and the local cable co is too cheap to run a line out our road. Our internet options are currently dial-up, satellite, or cell data. Satellite gives us 10GB "anytime" and 10GB between 2:00AM - 8:00AM. Needless to say, we supplement our low data plan from the satellite with our cellular (AT&T) plan via hotspot which gives us another 10GB.

I am quite excited to see the "free" upgrade from 10GB to 15GB per month from AT&T. Assuming this article is accurate.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
no change in price for me.. i started off with a 6GB plan for $100.. then they did the upgrade to 10GB promotion for free.. and a few months later, they did a 10 to 15GB upgrade for free (limited time).

My price will stay exactly the same, but at least new customers can get a better deal.

eventually, these data buckets will get much much larger, and i would bet AT&T will start doing DirecTV streaming and not count it against your data usage

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'll keep my Google Project Fi at $20 a month, thanks.

..which includes no data...lmao

No asshat, it has all the data I want just like any other plan but I only pay for the data I use. Someone paying $100 for a 6GB plan pays that every month and more if they use more. With taxes and hidden fees I was paying $75 a month for Verizon with 1GB weather I used it or not. Last month I paid $26.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Some cheapskates here, get what you pay for. I bet those of you paying less than $100 a month are not getting 4G LTE speeds at all.

there is a difference between being a cheapskate and an idiot for just throwing your money away.

And don't make assumptions on things that you don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dm_3C-ZLk

Oh no... no 4g LTE speed for any of them but look... T-mobile pulled the most data.

Oh crap there goes your argument... Enjoy being an idiot and just giving away your money.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
As an AT&T customer I have SAVED money by taking the data and text plan off my line. When I had their data plan I found that I hardly used their data! I have WIFI at home, WIFI at work and Optimum WIFI through out the city.

It is ridiculous for them to charge $20 a month for 300MB of data! And their rollover data "perk" is soo much bullsh!t because any data that rolls over expires at the end of the next billing cycle and it does not use your rollover data first, it uses your normal data, then when that runs out it taps into your rollover data.

Right now this is my bill:
Nation 300 with Rollover $29.99 with a 19% company discount

My bill hovers around $38 a month, never goes over $40. This is with pay as you go data, pay per text and after government fees and taxes.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Actually it showed T-Mobile's weakness. They rent space on towers, but they are also at the end of the line on those towers. So while they can typically generate fast speeds and have decent coverage with little infrastructure, they also fight for bandwidth which at times might be great or lousy.
If you are like me and only use T-Mobile, one thing you do from time to time is restart your cell service to reset the connection to the tower since it likes to drop under heavy load. That test took place in a heavy cell load area which is why you saw that reduction in speed. In San Diego, we have the Qualcomm area. During the weekdays your constantly losing service, but on the weekends its blazing fast since all the Qualcomm workers are off.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
a little bit of old news: I have to 10GB Family plan, and they raised that to 15GB several (4 or 5?) months ago. With 5 people on the plan, it's not too expensive on a per person basis
The unlimited talk/text to Mexico is new though, now they just need to add being able to talk FROM Mexico

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
$20 for 300 MB data ? :D i'm in indonesia, a third world country, for about $USD i can get 650 MB data, with Extra 2 GB if i'm accessing it betwee 0 AM till 9 AM, i guess cellular operator there are squeezing their user money :D

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Makes me laugh many of you willingly overpay. I have cricket, 3gb data for 35 a month. There is literally no reason what so ever to actually use att. Cricket is better in every way.

With 3 kids, one of which is a pilot and one of which drives for a living, the overages would kill me on Cricket. In my county (Suffolk, Long Island) with 1.6 million folks. I get one signal at my home and office.... have to go 1.5 miles to get Verizon...4 miles to get Sprint. All my cell phone calls from my home / office (as well as data) are free and not charged to the plan. Still none of these new plans measure up to the old ones.

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015

FYI, AT&T acquired Cricket from Leap Wireless at the beginning of the year, and plans there have changed. You now pay more for less data.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Unlimited calls, text and 3GB data with an extra 1GB every Sunday.
Some of you don't know how lucky you are to actually get that much data. I currently have to pay $80 for 8GB a month some of those mobile plans offer heaps better bang for buck that what I get and as for 3G speeds I get around 1.8MB/s is that most fast enough or something?!

metalfan49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
The quoted cost per line is only for feature phones. They whack you $40 per line for smart phones. Destroys the initial value I saw in these plans based on Tom's table.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Cricket is still $45/month with autopay, unlimited talk/text in US/Canada/Mexico (including roaming in Mexico), 5GB/month and no "overages" as it just drops to 2G speeds.
It uses the same AT&T towers, but doesn't qualify for microcell connections if you need those.

Phillip

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Some cheapskates here, get what you pay for. I bet those of you paying less than $100 a month are not getting 4G LTE speeds at all.

$80 a month (before all the taxes and crap) unlimited (everything) with Sprint. With my HTC M9, my slowest speed using "SpeedTest" was 30.92 Mb. Fastest was 48.58 Mb. Is that not 4g LTE speeds?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Cricket does not have "the best" phones when compared to ATT so for those of use that wants better phones getting third rate phones may be for some but not for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.