AT&T: True 4G Will Roll Out in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]cuecuemore[/nom]So it turns out that LTE wasn't so...LT?[/citation]

Yeah. Verizon started calling their 3G 4G and then ATT jumped on the bandwagon and did the same. Last time I looked the 4G standard called for 100Mbps download speed.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
yea marketing.. basically wimax and lte were both called 4g when tehey didn't meet the standards... that shit wouldn't fly in the EU but the US... corperations are people and people can lie.. MURICA!

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Yeah. Verizon started calling their 3G 4G and then ATT jumped on the bandwagon and did the same. Last time I looked the 4G standard called for 100Mbps download speed.[/citation]

Just because the standard allows for it, that doesn't mean providers' backbones can support it. The LTE Advanced standard, as laid out by the ITU-R, allows for up to 1Gbps download, and 500mbps uploads. Will you ever see that? Not a chance.

G

Great maybe now ATT will get around to rolling out 3G coverage to my area, its only taken how many years since the standard was released, and my phone is still on edge.

G

So will they be changing their ads and stop lying about having more "4G" than Verizon?

So the whole time people who thought that they had 4G was literally 3G and 3G users were being throttled back to give the impression that their 3G service was obsolete. So in the end all that I can say is bravo by the greedy monopolistic companies proving their critics right once more.

Personally if there is a data cap when it comes to web service I avoid it period. Got a crappy service that is light years behind everyone else but at least I can download as much as I want adding up to hundreds of gigabytes a month. With data caps cloud and streaming services become almost impossible to make the most let alone enjoy.

G

Getting 36mbs down 16 up with AT&T LTE in Nashville TN on average and unlimited data still on my Galaxy Note 2.

zdaggs

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I've had Verizon for over 10 years and they never claim their 3G was 4G. They went right to LTE. AT&T's 4G is HSPA+ along with T-Mobile which is marginally faster than 3G but can't hold a candle to LTE. There is no 4G "standard" it's made up clarification.[/citation]

In March 2008, the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector (ITU-R) specified a set of requirements for 4G standards, named the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced (IMT-Advanced) specification, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 megabits per second (Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zdaggs[/nom]In March 2008, the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector (ITU-R) specified a set of requirements for 4G standards, named the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced (IMT-Advanced) specification, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 megabits per second (Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[[/citation]
Just to be clear, this is theoretical transfer speeds, which are NEVER achieved in actual use. Remember your trusty USB 2.0 device (whatever it may be) it has a theoretical transfer speed of 480 Mbps, but you're lucky to see anything over 25-30 Mbps. Take a look at your fastest 6 Gbps SSD, good luck getting it to transfer anything more than 550 Mbps, no where near the 6 Gbps speed it states. There are so many factors that hinder and prevent anyone from achieving the theoretical speeds. But in a perfect world, yes the Verizon LTE could hit 100 Mbps or higher; therefore, it meets the classification of 4G LTE.

zdaggs

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]Just to be clear, this is theoretical transfer speeds, which are NEVER achieved in actual use. Remember your trusty USB 2.0 device (whatever it may be) it has a theoretical transfer speed of 480 Mbps, but you're lucky to see anything over 25-30 Mbps. Take a look at your fastest 6 Gbps SSD, good luck getting it to transfer anything more than 550 Mbps, no where near the 6 Gbps speed it states. There are so many factors that hinder and prevent anyone from achieving the theoretical speeds. But in a perfect world, yes the Verizon LTE could hit 100 Mbps or higher; therefore, it meets the classification of 4G LTE.[/citation]

correct. my reply was to Otacon72 who stated "There is no 4G "standard" it's made up clarification."

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I've had Verizon for over 10 years and they never claim their 3G was 4G. They went right to LTE. AT&T's 4G is HSPA+ along with T-Mobile which is marginally faster than 3G but can't hold a candle to LTE. There is no 4G "standard" it's made up clarification.[/citation]

LTE is NOT 4G. The 4G specification was required to have download speeds of 100 Mbps minimum. LTE does not do that. Therefore Verizon claiming their LTE is 4G, which they have done for a few years, was a lie.

zdaggs

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
People are getting a bit confused I think. 100mbits is required for high mobility communications. That's like trains. Pedestrians require 1gigabit to be technically classified as 4g. although these are all peak speed theoretical limits, not minimum limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.