Question At what frequency will my RAM operate in this scenario ?

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hey, guys! I was wondering....

Let's say that I install 32 GB (2x16) DDR4, 3200 MHz memory sticks onto my MoBo (whichever that one is, it's not important for what I'll ask, but let's assume that I've perfectly matched the right MoBo with the right RAM memory sticks) and that my rig works as intended (at 3200 MHz), and then - a month later - I buy another 32 GB memory stick (of course, we assume again that the MoBo does support up to 64 GB of RAM) but this time I buy a Single Channel stick instead of a Dual Channel one and that I insert it into one of 2 remaining slots that are still available, from the 4 total slots that my MoBo comes with. And let's assume that this Single Channel memory stick also functions at 3200 MHz, just for compatibilities' sake.

So, my question is: what speeds (frequency) will my rig function at in this particular scenario of having 2 DC and 1 SC memory sticks running together? Will the 3200 MHz frequency be maintained, or are there speed losses that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for clearing this thing up that has been bugging me for nearly a week now...

Solution
a month later - I buy another 32 GB memory stick...but this time I buy a Single Channel stick
dual channel + single channel setup will limit RAM performance.
by how much depends on the scenario, particular sticks, particular motherboard, etc.

a big issue that many face here everyday is that separate memory kits are not guaranteed to work together.
many times the system will fail to boot or software will fail to properly initialize.
even if the system does boot and the OS loads then there can be many small discrepancies in the data processed by these separate kits because they are not tested and guaranteed to work together.
individual kits are thoroughly tested to ensure 100% compatibility before they are packaged together and...
a month later - I buy another 32 GB memory stick...but this time I buy a Single Channel stick
by how much depends on the scenario, particular sticks, particular motherboard, etc.

a big issue that many face here everyday is that separate memory kits are not guaranteed to work together.
many times the system will fail to boot or software will fail to properly initialize.
even if the system does boot and the OS loads then there can be many small discrepancies in the data processed by these separate kits because they are not tested and guaranteed to work together.
individual kits are thoroughly tested to ensure 100% compatibility before they are packaged together and anything outside of that kit is not.

Reactions: monere
Solution

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

individual kits are thoroughly tested to ensure 100% compatibility before they are packaged together and anything outside of that kit is not.
so I'll just stick to either 2 or 4 RAM sticks then... Thanks for the input

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Yes but they should be bought as a single kit. Mixing 2 kits even if same make and model is not guaranteed to work without issues. Generally 2 sticks is preferred, it is less load on the memory controller and less likely to have any problems.
kit as in pair of 2 sticks, or 1 stick separately? What are you referring to when you say "kits"?

Because if it's pairs of 2 then yeah, I know that this is how DC sticks should be purchased in (and AFAIK they are even sold like this anyway, just so that nutcases like me don't do anything stupid :p).

But if by "kits" you mean single sticks then - as weird as it might sound - I don't agree with you because there's always a possibility of me purchasing incompatible sticks.

kit as in pair of 2 sticks, or 1 stick separately? What are you referring to when you say "kits"?

Because if it's pairs of 2 then yeah, I know that this is how DC sticks should be purchased in (and AFAIK they are even sold like this anyway, just so that nutcases like me don't do anything stupid :p).

But if by "kits" you mean single sticks then - as weird as it might sound - I don't agree with you because there's always a possibility of me purchasing incompatible sticks.
What I mean is the RAM all comes in a single package. This way the manufacturer guarantees they will work together. Let’s say you want 32gb RAM. Do not buy 2 kits of 2x8gb. Ideally go for a kit of 2x16gb but a single kit of 4x8gb should be ok.

Reactions: monere