Question At what price do the cards make sense?

rtmace750

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
So I’m getting a new gpu soon, I would like to get some opinions. Do I go with a new gtx 1660ti for $280 (assuming no sales happen) a used gtx 1070 for around $200-210, or even when does a used gtx 1070ti make a good option because those seem to be dropping in price currently around $290. Does the slightly slower card with 2 gb more vram even though it’s gddr5 but $70 cheaper make sense? Thanks for any suggestions.

Unless you are goiner well into 4k, 4gb pretty much still does all modern games on less Resoultion than 4k
1070ti is a very nice card and its faster than the 1660ti by about 10-15%
the 1660ti is faster than a 1070 by 10-15% as well

All comes down to quality of second item, trust from the person you are buying it from and how much money you want to spend.

We don't know your circumstances, only you do, but if you say what your goal is, eg fps/res/games maybe people can help a bit more.

rtmace750

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Unless you are goiner well into 4k, 4gb pretty much still does all modern games on less Resoultion than 4k
1070ti is a very nice card and its faster than the 1660ti by about 10-15%

All comes down to quality of second item, trust from the person you are buying it from and how much money you want to spend.

We don't know your circumstances, only you do, but if you say what your goal is, eg fps/res/games maybe people can help a bit more.
I’m mostly going to stay at 1080p for another year then thinking about moving up to 1440. I play a mix of esports and AAA. I’m also looking to not have to upgrade this for a while.

When you buy used you will have the normal potential issues of a used unit.
If going used, buy a EVGA unit which still has some warranty left on it.
If the card was registered, the second buyer can get the warranty transferred.

As to performance the cards you mentioned are all in the same performance class.

Do not buy a graphics card based on specs.
Buy based on performance.
The vram included in a card will be appropriate to the performance of the card.

The vram included in a card will be appropriate to the performance of the card.
I wouldn't say that's always the case. A good example would be the GTX 1060 3GB, and there are rumors that there will be a 3GB 1660 as well, which is arguably too little for a mid-range card like that. The limited VRAM on those cards can cause performance issues in some of the most demanding games even at lower resolutions unless certain settings are turned down.

As far as current games go though, there won't be much of a difference between 6GB and 8GB of VRAM. That might not be the case a couple years from now though, as a new generation of consoles come out and games become more demanding. It's probably not a huge concern though, and the 1660 Ti does support newer APIs like DX12 a bit better, so it's anyone's guess which will perform better in the games coming out a couple years from now, and it might vary by game.

This doesn't seem accurate. From all the benchmarks I've seen, on average the 1660 Ti performs about the same as a 1070, being a bit faster in some games and a bit slower in others. Perhaps you're thinking of the RTX 2060, which tends to perform about on par with a 1070 Ti, or typically in the range of around 15-20% faster than a 1660 Ti or 1070.