ATA 100 and ATA33 Coexist on old m/b?

G

Hi, I have recently purchased a new Seagate Baraccuda 20G 7200 rpm HDD. My current system specs as follow :

PII 350 with Intel 440BX m/b
256Mb SDRAM-PC100
IBM 8G 5400 rpm ATA-33 with 40-conductor/40 Pin cable
32Mb GeForce II MX Graphics Card
SB Live soundcard
10/100 NIC
40X CDROM
16/10/40 Yamaha CDRW

I used Drive Copy to copy the old HDD to the new HDD and set the Seagate as
primary master and IBM as secondary master. Everything looked OK except that
in Device Manager, the primary hard disk controller appeared to be conflict
(with yellow exclaimation). Other than that, PC working OK. I then
disconnected both the CDROM and CDRW and connected IBM to secondary and set
the jumper as master, now the yellow exclaimation mark moved to secondary
hard disk controller. Whatever I tried, the Seagate and IBM won't coexist
peacefully. I can only get rid of the problem without IBM.

Is it a conflict between an ATA-100 and ATA-33? How can I solve the problem
as I do not want to waste the 8G IBM HDD. Thanks.

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
If it works ok, live with it. Its probably has something to do with the ide driver/bios or something.

It don't come easy.......not always.

PS: Is the bios the lastest for your board?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
why dont you set it up the way you want, then remove the affected device from device mgr, then reboot and load the driver manually..... just go to the system folder in windows.

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

G

Yes, I have got the latest bios update. If I live with it, does it mean I won't even get the ATA-33? Thanks.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me! It was working with your old drive, so I would think it should with this one. I would back up your data and do a fresh installation of windows without doing the image with Drive Copy. That way you don't have to live with the problem and don't have to worry about if you are going to get ATA33 or not. Any exclamations in the device manager can in fact effect performance.

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I comprehend that both your drives are working, only that you have the exclamation mark on your old drive. Yes, sometimes you can play about with it and get to find the culprit but this usually takes a long time. So it is wise to do like what the above person (Lars) said, backup your data and do a fresh install and see if it is still there. My guess is that it shold not.

It don't come easy.......not always.

Additional note: Since your motherboard has ATA33 ide, your ATA100 drive will perform at ATA33.