G

Hi, I´ve just switched to a fulltower case and my IDE cables were too short. I bought new 36 inch cables (80 conductor) and after this my DVD-player works like crap, I get CRC errors all the time. I have two ATA-100 hard drives on the first IDE channel and my DVD and CD/RW on the second. The second IDE cable used to be a shorter 40 conductor cable and now I have a longer 80 conductor. I thought that the 80 conductor cables were fully backwards compatible.

Are the cable to long or must I use a 40 conductor cable on the second IDE channel. My hard drives and the CD/RW work ok.

My DVD is a LiteOn and my MoBo is an Intel 815EEA2.

Cheers
/Pag

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
for harddrives i wouldn't go over the 18inch cables with 80wire cables. for dvd/cdr, maybe 24inch at the most. those errors and decrease in performance is from the length.

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
if you arrange your drives in the case you should be fine, put the master on top, slave below it. i have a in-win's q500 full tower i use all 18" cables and i don't have a problem. i have cdrom and dvd on ide 1, cdr on ide 2, 1 ata100 drive on a pci controller, and 2 ata100 drives on a pci raid controller.

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

G

Thanks,

do you mean that it matters which cable connector on the IDE ribbon I connect to the master resp. the slave? How come?

By the way, I was able to connect my DVD and CD/RW using an 18" 80 connector cable by really tweaking some stuff. The DVD works better now, but I still get some errors that I don't get when I try to do the same stuff using my CD/RW.
I'm thinking of replacing my DVD (Lite-on), it seems to be very picky.

/Pag

FatBurger

Illustrious
do you mean that it matters which cable connector on the IDE ribbon I connect to the master resp. the slave? How come?

If you decide to use cable select (<subliminal messaging>DON'T</subliminal messaging>), then you have to attach them to the right ends. Master on the end, slave in the middle.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
eh?
always wondered about that.
my 60gxp is master in the middle and the ata33 slaves on the end.

still performs like a ata100 in all benchies though

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

FatBurger

Illustrious
If you've got them jumpered for slave and master, then you're fine. If you've got it jumpered for cable select, you have to put them in the right places.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes
the major issue with ata cables is lack of shielding or termination.
that means interfeerence builds up as the cable length is increased.

the max length reccommended by the ATA specifications is: 48cm or 18.8"
however you can go longer due to drives being able to get through the noise
im using 60cm (24") rounded cables with no problems.

now you are useing 36" cables... almost TWICE the max reccommened length!
no wonder your getting errors.

use a standard 80wire cable for both.
they are backwards compatible.
if length is an issue try to find some 24" cables, if it isnt, stick with 18 inch ones.

the introduction of serial ATA is supposed to alleviate this problem for good.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

TRENDING THREADS