ATA100 not detected

G

ok, my system is as follows:

Asus p2b mobo w/ p2 350
128mb ram
old 2gb quantum bigfoot HD
etc

Note: I am using an old 40-pin IDE cable

I bought a new 40gb Quantum ATA100 HD, but it doesn't ever get detected. depending on my jumper settings, sometimes the detection process just hangs, and sometimes no HD is detected. My IDE cable works fine with the old bigfoot HD, so its not busted. A friend told me that with the old 40-pin IDE cables, sometimes ATA100 drives don't work because of interference. Would my mobo and old HD still work with the new 80-pin cables?

Any other ideas on why I might be having problems?

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Yes, your old HDD will work with the ATA100 cable. BTW the ATA100 cable has the same 40 pin connector but has 80 wires rather than 40 wires. And handle with care, they are rather delicate and are more easily damaged than the 40 wire cables.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You would want to make sure you use the 80wire 40pin Ultra Cable. Another thing is that this drive is most likely a FireBall AS drive and it has an Alternate Capacity jumper on it which you'll want to set furthest to the right going vertical next to the power connection.

Other then that it is probably a BIOS limitation because your system doesn't support 40gigs. But with a PII 350mhz I don't see why it wouldn't support at least 8gig. The BIOS limitation is going to be 32gig most likely if its a 1998 BIOS ... but it's hard to say!

Hope that helps ...

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>