ATA100 running as a UDMA66?

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
This may be stupid, but I recently loaded ALI's IDE utility, and it reported that my WD 30 gig was running as a UDMA 66, instead of the ATA100 it is supposed to run at. The utility would not let me change this either. Is there something in the bios I can change? I have an Asus A7a.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I have a WD HDD which I ran in an older system as ATA33. When I got a new system board which was ATA100 capable, it still ran at ATA33 even though it was supposed to be ATA66 capable. I downloaded the WD Data Lifeguard Tools from their web site and was able to set the drive as ATA66. I don't know if your situation is comparable, but it might be worth a look.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
What kind of hard drive is it? If it is an IBM 75GXP model then it is probably an ATA66 but was advertised as an ATA100. I would download Sisoft Sandra free from www.cnet.com download site and use their hard drive benchmark software for testing it. Then compare it to the ATA66 and ATA100 drives they have listed. Give us your full motherboard and hard drive specs.
Allen

G

Well ..he said it was a WD drive. You might try the WD disk utility for changing a drive between ATA33/66/100 and making sure the drive is in ATA100 mode. WD have come from the manufacturer default to ATA66 for compadability reasons.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***