ATA66 on KT7-Raid

G

I have a new system running a 1000 ghz T-Bird on an Abit KT7-Raid. I have a 14.3Gig WD ATA66 7200 rpm drive on IDE 3 and a ATA33 drive and Cdrom on IDE1&2. I can not seem to get the WD drive to run at ATA66. When I run the Sandra Benchmark, it only scores 8100 which is what a ATA33 drive runs at. I have the drive set at UDMA 4 in the raid configuration. I tried setting the drives jumper to cable select but that made no difference. I am running the proper IDE cable also. Any advice on getting this drive to run at ATA66 would be appreciated. TIA.

G

Ensure that the blue end goes into the m/b and the black end goes into the drive. The grey goes into the slave.

Turn on the highpoint controller in the bios - "Integrated Peripherals".

You can also ctrl h and check the settings in the high-point bios.

But it looks like you've done all that. So, you may have a crappy drive.

I have a crappy 30Gb Maxtor which is supposed to run at 7200 rpm, but it looks like it's running at 1200 - more like a cd. I'm thinking of giving it to the neighbours to use as a puck when they play hockey. I tried ths drive on the a7v and the results were almost identical. So it definitely was not the m/b nor the controller.

I don't know what the warranty is like on those drives and if you'll get an answer if you call them. We have Fujitsu close here and they'll give you another new drive no questions asked. Don't expect Maxtor or WD to be like that, but it probably wouldn't hurt to find out. If you got it from a computer shop, that it back and ask them to hook up another drive just like it as a slave and then rerun your Sandar on the new drive. I bet you'll get better stats.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not really. I only have a KT7 so I only have the two ATA66 ports. To get those to work it was necessary to load the 4-in-1 drivers which includes the Via Bus Master PCI IDE driver. Afterwards, I had to manually active DMA transfers in Device Manager.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hello grandnat86,

My Maxtor DiamondMax 40 VL ran like a dog (no offense to dog lovers) until I got it to work at ATA66 on my KT7 and after I downloaded the Maxtor utilities. Apparently this drive shipped with quiet mode fully active. It really was silent but seek times were over 20 milliseconds. Disabling this "feature" reduced seek times to 9.5 milliseconds. Of course this is an economy drive and writes seem to be pretty slow even with write-verification turned off. Still it scored 19100 on Sanda Drives benchmark. Which puts it up the the "reference" ATA66 drive. My drive support ATA100 but the KT7 only support ATA66 but there is little diffence between the two with current drives.

The Maxtor drive still is slow in PIO mode 4 (as in booting to DOS). In this mode it is slower than my old Fujitsu MPAxxx drive by quite a bit.

G

Maxtor has a no haggle policy now. They replaced a bad 30g with a 45g. free no questions asked. Anyway try the new 4in1 driver 4.21a I think and I dont think you can put a 33 and 66 on the same ide and expect anything over the slowest components speed. At least that sounds familiar.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Do you know if Maxtor will now accept returns on OEM drives? Because of the industry's varying policies concerning these I presently only buy retail drives with full warranties.

G

Looks like some good posts here. I will try their utilities - never knew they had them.

G

phsstpok

Tried to look at utilities and I didn't see anything about disabling silent mode.

So I tried the powermax and the tests were all ok but ran slow. The "burn in" test ran all night and didn't finish the next day so I called Maxtor support. Since their utility only notices drives on the regular IDE controllers, I used the 40-pin ide cable. The guy said to try 80-pin cable. Tried that and no difference. Called next day and was talking to lady and she just said ok give me serial # and we'll exchange drive. So, scottw68 it looks like they're pretty cool about replacing drives.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did you find AMSET.EXE, AM for Acoustic Management? This is the utility that I spoke of. Don't know how it works only that it does. I don't know why it is needed you can't hear these drives anyway (at least not with half a dozen fans going).

Anyway, I'll see if I can find a link. You might need the utility for the new drive.

Update:

OOPS! The utility only works for Maxtor UDMA 100 drives. You still might need it for your replacement drive.

Here is the link for AMSET

http://www.maxtor.com/products/diamondmax/techsupport/technicalprocedures/21007.html

and here is the link for WVSET (allows you to turn write-verify on and off).

http://www.maxtor.com/products/diamondmax/techsupport/technicalprocedures/21008.html
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/02/01 01:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

thx ...

I'll download it just in case. Thanks for the help ...