Atapi event ID 9

I am getting an event id 9 off and on it is usually preceeded by a blue
screen. It is not happening while there is a cd in the cd drive but seems to
be happening randomly while trying to write to the HDD. If anyone has been
through this and fixed it your help is much appreciated.

What is the name of the source?

For example, you will usually see something like the following:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: sbp2port
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314093/

"Ston" <Ston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting an event id 9 off and on it is usually preceeded by a blue
> screen. It is not happening while there is a cd in the cd drive but seems
> be happening randomly while trying to write to the HDD. If anyone has
> been
> through this and fixed it your help is much appreciated.

There you go, sorry I did not include all the info the first time.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: atapi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 7/17/2005
Time: 6:55:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DAN
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Data:
0000: 0f 00 50 00 01 00 a4 00 ..P...¤.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 ........
0038: 40 00 02 0e 00 00 00 00 @.......
0040: 00 00 00 00 40 01 00 00 ....@...
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: a0 97 d9 f7 00 00 00 00 —Ù÷....
0058: 00 00 00 00 10 14 29 86 ......)†
0060: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0068: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Are you using Roxio GoBack (or Symantec GoBack) software?

If so, then you should know that one poster in the XP hardware newsgroup
stated that he was told by his PC seller (Gateway) that Roxio GoBack
(version 3, latest updates) was generating the error you describe below

He said he had disabled GoBack and still received the error but it took an
entire uninstall to completely rid the computer of the problem.

Otherwise, this error is usually due to either poor cabling, loose cables,
a failing controller or failing hardware - such as the Primary IDE
controller for your hard drive.

> There you go, sorry I did not include all the info the first time.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: atapi
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 9
> Date: 7/17/2005
> Time: 6:55:55 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: DAN
> The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout
> period.

I am not using Roxio go back or Symantec so it must be a hardware issue. I
will check the cableing and see if that will help the issue then move up the
line from there. Thank you for your speedy help, I appreciate it.