Atari Starts Another Run of Not-So-Limited VCS Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is pretty disappointing. First off, the APU is Bristol Ridge. For the price, I'd expect one of the embedded-series Ryzen APUs.

Second is the ship date. They announced this thing like way last year, and the ship date is still 13 months out? That's just nuts.

Anyway, I hope they don't try to do anything to block the Steam client for Linux or keep its games from running. That's one of the best reasons to buy one, although you're going to be fairly limited in the titles which will play well on these specs.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I really wanted to like it for something other than it's retro looks. I can't find the appeal. If it had a couple cartridge slots and a frontend tied to some emulators that gave you the ability to run a bunch of Atari games off the cartridges (including Jaguar!) out of the box I'd be more interested. But as it stands it's just another low horsepower PC in a box. You'd be better off getting a steam link or if you want dedicated hardware, even a small box with a cheap Ryzen 2200G is already better. Meh.

nigma_x

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Don't buy into the hype. VCS can not be trusted. Multiple reputed media sources are reporting that Atari has nothing to show. Not even a working prototype. This explains why its on Indie Go Go and not Kickstarter.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

13 months away from the ship date, that's not too surprising. But, given how long ago they first announced, it does seem a little odd.

You'd think they could at least take some reference board from AMD and get some Linux distro booted on it. That shouldn't be too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.