Review Atari VCS Review: Nostalgia Isn’t Enough

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I knew since the announcement of the dual-core Ryzen in it that it would be a bad system for the price, but at least I hoped it could be well made. Guess it can always be worse, right?

Reactions: Joseph_138
Jul 8, 2021
First, I've had my system since the beginning of May, having preordered a long time ago, and I've done a lot of playing around with it. It definitely has it's quirks.

The errors you encountered are almost certainly due to the usb drive you are using. I tried several brands of terabyte, and a few 512 and 256 gig thumb drives to get things working correctly. What I noticed was that if the process of writing to the drive when creating Windows To Go on Windows or booting was exceedingly slow on the Atari (more than an hour), there would be failures. I ultimately used a Window To Go certified device to get it going. Using a wtg certified device had the Atari up and running in about an hour and a half give or take.

Win2USB is a terrible product imo, it does what it says, but it costs an exorbitant amount for what it does do. Use Rufus instead; this is 100% free and works absolutely fine, and supports writing a VHD without paying cash (you can find many articles on Goog using Rufus to create a WTG).

While I have successfully installed and bench tested both RAM and M2, after testing I removed both to return the AtariVCS to stock. I will be performing the upgrade again because performance is a whole lot better, even in 4K res, however I currently need the Atari to stay stock while I do a few projects with it. Currently I have WTG running on an inexpensive ADATA 2TB external HDD (yes, a spindle). I have installed MAME, ColEm, Stella, Daphne (get the Daphne GTG release from the library Archive.org for perfection!), ad infinitum with ROMs and have had no issues with running anything emulated up to and including PSOne/PSP and GameCube ( I have not attempted PS/2 or WII yet, but will soon). The only problem, and it's a big one, is the data speed. While my drive is USB 3.1, being a spindle, coupled with USB external, it is slow loading. I just boot, go make a coffee and grab a smoke. By the time I'm done, it's snappy enough to not make me angry.

For controller support in Windows there's an obscure, but published easy fix - turn it into an xbox controller by holding the buttons beside the Atari logo down simultaneously (curved back arrow/hamburger). The Atari logo will flash and, once connected to Bluetooth, will turn off leaving only the four status lights below turned on. It's now an Xbox compatible controller and works much better with windows. I have not tried with the classic sticks yet because that's probably pointless with only 6 buttons, the stick, and the paddle - also of note, pushing the joystick down is one of the buttons 😉 On the AtariOS side I haven't bothered with Netflix etc because it's redundant, but I hope they fix the control issue. I believe, however, that you can click the left stick down to get a virtual keyboard, but I would have to check.

As far as PC titles on Steam, I can play GTA 5 well enough without resorting to uberporato mode so that was a definite plus, and even managed No Man's Sky, which is playable, but the settings are very low, and you WILL get a warning about memory running the stock Atari, but Hello Games was smart enough to allow it to play anyway. Also I've been collecting Epic freebies for just this purpose. Everything Epic I've tested runs pretty well from the Epic freebie pool. Even Control works decent on low settings.

Will I ever use this for serious gaming? No. I'll play Epic freebies on the PC side of the Atari (yes that was a swipe at Epic), and I'll definitely be enjoying Pinball FX3 using Steam on my 65" TV. I may use it to link Steam to play Far Cry 5 or import AC Valhalla to Steam to play on 65", but I usually prefer sitting in front of my rig for that. What I will do is play a whole whack of games I haven't seen since I was 7, and have a whole lot of fun with it figuring out what I can and can't do with it. Truly, I think that's the point that Infogrames (the current owner of the Atari brand) was going for. Much like the original Atari Video Computer System/2600, this unit can both surprise and disappoint. I find the AtariVCS to be more akin to the Atari 8-bit computers, not the greatest piranha in the pool, but it's fun as hell!

Reactions: AtariArtist
I currently need the Atari to stay stock while I do a few projects with it. Currently I have WTG running on an inexpensive ADATA 2TB external HDD (yes, a spindle). I have installed MAME, ColEm, Stella, Daphne (get the Daphne GTG release from the library Archive.org for perfection!), ad infinitum with ROMs and have had no issues with running anything emulated up to and including PSOne/PSP and GameCube ( I have not attempted PS/2 or WII yet, but will soon). The only problem, and it's a big one, is the data speed. While my drive is USB 3.1, being a spindle, coupled with USB external, it is slow loading. I just boot, go make a coffee and grab a smoke. By the time I'm done, it's snappy enough to not make me angry.
Why use windows for emulation in the first place?! Sure for steam or windows games in general but for emulation go with a self contained linux distro like batocera, recalbox or lakka.
No special usb drive needed and they are so small that loading will be much better.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I don't know why this was even made. It's too expensive for what it is. There are plenty of retro consoles on the market already, and if you need the functionality of a PC, this doesn't even make a good PC. You're better off to run the games under emulation on your PC. A Raspberry Pi configured to play retro games is even a better value than this is. It's never going to be competitive with consoles from MS, Sony, or Nintendo, and doesn't do anything that you can't do cheaper or for free on other platforms. Totally useless. A year from now, they'll be on the scrap pile of history along with the Ouya, and other failed consoles of the past. Their timing of the release is also bad. Christmas is when you want to release something like this, not mid-summer. It's easier to sucker people into buying something when their kids are screaming for it. By the time Christmas rolls around, everyone is going to know what a POS this console is, and won't touch it with a 40 foot pole. They'll buy an OLED Switch for their kids, instead.

You can even go on ebay and buy a SFF PC from HP or Dell with a 3rd or 4th generation Intel CPU that you can configure into a retro games console for a lot less money than this. You don't need a lot of CPU/GPU power to run retro games.

Last edited:
Their timing of the release is also bad. Christmas is when you want to release something like this, not mid-summer. It's easier to sucker people into buying something when their kids are screaming for it.
Yeah, all the kids are going to be screaming for atari...
This already made all of its sales in pre order and the number of units that will reach retail is going to be extremely low anyway.
I do agree on everything else though.

Derpeee

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
The indie games on the VCS store were worth the price of admission for me. Check out Mockduck’s and I Love’s Youtube channels for game reviews. Yes most are also available on Steam and some are available on other platforms / stores. Prices are comparable to Steam. As for the fan noise i only hear mine on boot. But I don’t have a Steam Box and the Steam Link app doesn’t work for me i tried it and I’m not big on PC gaming. There’s more titles on the way like The Spirit of the Samurai. I think people are missing the point when viewing this as a retro machine only, although i had fun using the joystick controller paddle functionality to play some original VCS paddle games like Night Driver. I view it as a channel into some curated content that I particularly like, on hardware I particularly like. I spent lots of lawn mowing money on the original VCS/2600 back in the day. Not sure if i might try to turn it into a steam box or use it as a Stadia streamer, but maybe down the road will try that.

Jul 10, 2021
Had mine since late Dec. Like the other VCS user in the comments - I too am using an external USB 3 3TB HDD - but configured to Ubutntu Linux. Took less than an hour to get up and running. All of my 60 steam titles are running fine, although I'm more into indie games that don't top out my specs (plus older titles that were choppy to unplayable on the Mac are now running fine). Proton-wine (from Valve/Steam) on Ubuntu is both easy and automatic. Amusingly enough - thanks to distro and updates sometimes not being up to snuff on the 'native linux' titles - windows titles are preferred running in Proton. In fact, at least a few titles run faster than Windows (for various reasons from win10bloat to who knows what). Protondb is also good for checking steam titles in advance and checking out if there's any proton versions that work 'better' or putting in exception handlers on launch.

I'm using the 300 dollar VCS as a miniPC upgrade from a Mac Mini which was choking on Minecraft (down to 18fps). So far the VCS running fine stock and is now my daily driver (I'm even admining a Minecraft MP server - and other users are hosting servers with their VCS too). As far as upgrading my PC activities it's doing what's expected for a third the price of a new Mac Mini and it's the platform of choice as I shift from Windows/MacOS to Ubuntu (and perhaps elementaryOS - whenever ver 6 arrives). Firefox, Minecraft, and (earlier) AAA titles using both Unreal 3 and 4 engines are fine (3 is smooth as silk - all the Bioshock games are great). Source engine titles are running over 100fps. I'm displaying on an ultrwide 1080p *2560.

Obviously I'm biased, but I did not go through 2 days of configure hell - but then - I didn't do Windows either (because this is the first PC I'm dedicating to going Linux whole-hog, and I'm loving it. Like a LOT!). I didn't do the internal drive option either - mostly because that (I agree) does need some help down the road with dedicated installers and the like. Another reason for not wanting to spend more on PCs is because I'm a music gearhead (and that's a black hole of hobby-money right there).

I won't say the reviewer is bla bla bla negative nitpicky bla - but I'd be curious what would happen if he'd gone the thumbdrive installer to USB3 HDD route and configured Ubuntu . He might be having as much fun as I am - and it wouldn't take forever to try. I'll also admit I'm not 100-percent which has me fanboy-ing more. The Dual-core Ryzen and graphics vs the horrible Mac Mini previously used - OR - just being REALLY surprised at how fast and snappy Ubuntu is. I can see why Linux folks are so tennacious about their OS flavor(s).

(disclaimer - I'm typing on the VCS right now)

Jul 8, 2021
Why use windows for emulation in the first place?! Sure for steam or windows games in general but for emulation go with a self contained linux distro like batocera, recalbox or lakka.
No special usb drive needed and they are so small that loading will be much better.

Lakka works really well with the little bit that I've tested it in the Atari, but that was little more than MAME. For general users it is a pain because they will need to find the BIOS password and disbale secure boot. (Yes the current BIOS password is out there, and you can also do this with a shim, but that's beyond the scope here.) I stuck with Windows because I pretty much want a single boot unit (well dual with AtariOS) for the time being, because that's pretty much what most people will be doing. Additionally I am chosing to stick with RetroArch in Windows as it will be coming to Steam eventually with achieves, etc, and I'm a serious Steam whore. What I intend on doing when I replace the upgrades is running Lakka, and AROS/Icaros from the external, and Win 10 internal.

Also, just to note, if the drive fails with WTG creation or reading Windows 10 as mentioned in my other post, you will also see disk errors with Linux based distros. This happened to me with both Lakka and Debian. The boot time isn't affected like with Windows, but once you reboot you will see disk corruption and it will run fsck. It's about 60/40 if you'll be able to boot into the OS again.