Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I just built my machine yester day. It seems to keep a constant reading in the 50's Celsius. I am using the stock heat sink and fan that came with it and I dabed some thermal grease on there cause I didn't like the little pad.

Anyone that has any thoughts on a better heat sink or the temp let me know!

Later!

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The temp is a little higher than I would like. Athlons are rated to work at up to 60C...but you could still get the temperature lower.

I myself never use the stock HSF on a CPU. My current Athlon 1.33GHz is cooled by a GlobalWin FOP32-I and stays at 41C idle, 46C full load.

Possibly stupid question here: did you actually remove the pad when you put on the thermal grease? If not, the thermal grease just makes matters worse.

About how thick a layer of thermal grease did you put on there? Thermal grease works best if it's just a paper-thin layer on your CPU. Much more than that, and it becomes an insulator, making the whole shebang work even worse than no with grease at all.

What is your ambient case temperature? Mine is about 23C.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I didn't take the pad off cause I thought it would be better with it on ther! I guess I was wrong! For the thermal grease I don't have much at all ...

I will have to check the temp of the system ...

If all else fails I will buy a new heat sink and fan!

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
hmm - remove that pad and re-apply the paste... Should drop you a few degrees.

50C is nothing to worry about. The Athlon will run up to 90 degrees according to AMD, but may get flakey about 70 or so.

Much higher than 50 and think about a change. If yoyu awnt to overclock you'll have to do better too.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Cool thanks for all the info. I will take the pad off. I think I may just get a new fan and heat sink. We will see

Thanks again

OliO

Distinguished
May 27, 2001
Do not use stock fan. Use swiftech HSF and arctic silver II and they should be able to keep ur temp cool

>>>when we are forgotten , we seized to exist<<<