Question Athlon 200GE vs A8-7600

DeadnightWarrior

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
blogofthunder.eu
Hi all,

So here's the situation:

- My mother has an old AMD A4-5300 that is quickly becoming a serious bottleneck, even for web browsing.

- I have an HTPC sporting the A8-7600 that's serving me very well in terms of performance (perfect 1080p Blu Ray playback, perfect music / video streams and decent retrogaming with emulators, even set at the 45W TDP).

Now, I might consider replacing my mom's A4 with the A8, which should be a significant improvement overall.

On the other hand I'd have to put a new motherboard / APU / ram combo in my HTPC.

The Athlon 200GE seems up to the task: Zen architecture vs Bulldozer, DDR4 ram vs DDR3, Vega graphics vs R5, 35W TDP vs 45W. The only "drawback" would be 2 cores / 4 threads vs 4 cores / 4 threads but we know that 2 Bulldozer cores are more or less one hyperthreaded core, so...

The question is: would it be an upgrade performance wise? Or would I simply see no improvement overall?

For reference, the rest of the system consist of a Kingston A400 SSD, an LG sata Blu Ray drive, 8Gb of ram (maybe Patriot Viper 4 3000 - still thinking about that) and a generic SFX 400W PSU, all hooked to a Samsung 39" 1080p non-smart TV.

Thanks to all

The 200ge is an upgrade from an old a8. The 200ge has a better cpu and gpu side compared to the A8 7600. The 35w 200ge is great cpu wise for games or media playback. The vega 3 is great for media playback, however if you can upgrade to a Ryzen 3 2200g you get vega 8 and 4 zen cores at a higher speed.

A 200ge is an upgrade over your current setup. Plus, the 200ge leaves a much better upgrade path. You can even overclock the 200ge in certain boards.

Last edited:

DeadnightWarrior

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
blogofthunder.eu
however if you can upgrade to a Ryzen 3 2200g you get vega 8 and 4 zen cores at a higher speed.

Yeah I know the 2200G is quite a step forward but still, the system is being used 90% of the time for streaming movies and music and for Blu Ray playback, something which the A8 already handles with ease. I was thinking more about updating the platform rather than pursuing high performance. I could start with the 200GE and then maybe throw in something like a 2400G down the line.

Honestly the 200ge sounds like a good deal for the job. If the A8 handles it the 200ge will definately perform even better.
Since the 200ge is limited to 2666 ram, ddr4 for it is pretty cheap. You can even pair it with a cheap A320 mobo since the 200ge likely isnt going to need an overclock. Id suggest b450 tho for future compatability.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I might be looking at it from a "rose colored glasses" standpoint, but had an A8 7600 that I thought very highly of. It did all the things you mention and I played some light games on it with it's integrated graphics.
I recently bought a 200GE to use as a file server backup and in that respect, it works well. It does...well, read my review, here:

I can't truly suggest it as a buy and use full time part. IF you were going to go to the trouble and expense to build this for personal use and need all the components (like you have nothing to step down from another AM4 build) you should at least aim for a Ryzen 3.

Edit to say that this userbenchmark comparison states the 200GE slays the A8:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athlon-200GE-vs-AMD-A8-7600-APU-2014-DKa/m592714vsm14050

Last edited: