Athlon 64 x2 6400 or Phenom 9500?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
youre absolutely right about the OP's intent and there is no argument coming from your humble apprentice Grasshopper. But if someone comes into my shop wanting me to build a $50K chopper with a 6bhp marine single cylinder diesel engine I have a responsability to tell him he's out of his freakin mind. I need the money real bad but I wont advise people to throw their money in the firepalce. There's right opinions and wrong opinions and 6 horse diesel singles in a chopper is just wrong. So is Phenom. :)

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

lol....If I was, I wouldn't feel to proud at the moment

Here in the UK the prices vary, one site is selling the Phenom almost £30 cheaper than the Q6600. It all depends where you shop ;)

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

Your probably right, but that seems quite a strong statement to make without any proof? Who knows what AMD will be offering around that time.

Edit: Penryn is only starting to appear with the Extreme Editon first, so Nehalem being avaliable any time soon is unlikely

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

I'm just basing it on the roadmaps that have been released and reproted by legitimate media... and that eliminates the Inq from consederation! :lol:

From everything I've read (and corect me if I'm wrong) AMD's 45nm parts will be out after Intel's 32nm Nehalem and the expectd performance of Nehalem is suposed to be in a completely separate league. There is no credable expectetion of an AMD lead in the enthuseast market for at least two years or more... or ever if things keep going the way they are... look at the AMD stock chart right now. Freefall in the last half hour.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I constantly come to these forums and find tons of people screaming "Buy a Q6600" its the future!! The fact still remains that more then 2/3 of PC users do not OC or will OC a rig. A Q6600 is not enough CPU to run a good 8800. Its a very poor gaming chip out of the box. OC is a must. Its like trying to tow a trailer with a Celica. As for future games being quad core enabled that is a load of BS. There is 1 other title in the next 2 years due to release with quad core support. PC gaming is not even close to being ready for the switch yet. Way to many people on these forums telling gamers to buy a quad. I get this IRL all of the time. "Why is my computer so slow?" and "It doesnt run well at the native resolution for my LCD" are questions I get all of the time because they fell for the "Quad buzz". I end up poping a nice C2D in and buying the quad at a discount. I have 13 Q6600 chips sitting in my workshop anyone want one?? NOT! This is not an Intel vs AMD topic. This is a performance per $$$ topic. Quads are not worth a crap when it comes to performance per $$ atm for just about 90+++% of the home PC user market or will be for over 2 years.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
"performance per $$$ topic"

OK, then defend why ncix is charging one dollar more for Phenom 9500 than a Q6600 today. Let's use any legitamate benchmark you want.

And if your 13 Q6600 chips havent been fried or phucked with, I'll buy em off you right now. There are hundreds of thousands of people who bought Q6600s. Very strange that none of them are in your neigborhood. Where do you live? Tikrit?:)

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
AFter reading all the crap that's on this post and my ignorant stance on the Phenom I have to agree that the quad at the moment probably isnt the way to go.

It's hard to grasp that yeah... not a lot of people are going to overclock and get all excited about there 3dmark scores. If you are like me and get stocked when you see a jump of 3k in a 3dmark benchmark from an overclock than get a quad core... waist some money... everyone on these posts seem to have so much of it anyway.

Quad core will rule on the benchmark because if it didnt I would be bragging right now about my 3 gig overclock that still cant come close to a 3 gig q6600 o'c.

I could have sworn that I read an article that crysis was tested and sure enough it was utilizing to the fullest extent "all four cores" but I may be wrong and may have misinterpreted that article like I apparently misinterpreted the previous article about phenom vs. X2

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Jersey,

LOL!!!
I really feel bad for your customers.

The best way to run a business is to treat your customers fairly and honestly. If you continue to cheat your customers, your negative reputation will precede you.

You will be tough pressed to find a Game that is highly constrained by a C2D or Q2D running at 2.4Ghz. Most likely it's going to be the GPU or perhaps memory. (Yes, the 3rd GB can be quite important for some games. This leaves a full 2gb for the Game and 1gb free for the OS.)

Secondly, People on this board make "complete" recommendations.
That includes not running the Conroe at Stock and only buying retail boards that properly support the OC.

It's like selling somebody a Sports Car with a Stick Shift and complaining that it cant hit high speeds in 1st gear.

The Reason why the Quads are recommended is because they can OC to nearly the same Speed as the C2D chips. (3.4 vs 3.6 or maybe 3.6 vs 3.8) Less than 10% performance difference which is generally not highly noticable. However, when something is quad supported the quad chip will win by 50% or more.

The issue in this thread is that the Phenom is clocking about 40% slower than the X2 not 5-10%. Additionally, these chips are already much slower than the Intel chips so the extra power is needed.

When you see the threads for folks suggesting the Quad, it is usually the last and final upgrade after all of the other components. No, people are not recommending the Q6600 as better value for performance than the E2160. But for those who have the cash and want to spend the money, go for it.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
JerseyGamer it is way more then 2/3 of pc users that dont overlock. BUT THEY ARE NOT ON HARDWARE FORUMS. They do not build there own pcs. They also couldnt tell the different parts of a pc if you layed them out on a table. They also dont know any better if they are going to a shop to see why there pc's arent peforming. People suggest parts for what the user wants/needs.

The q6600 is a very bad gaming chip out of the box? WHAT. It does not perform as well as the higher clocked c2d's but its not a very bad chip. Then the only chips that arent very bad are e6750 and up? And nothing AMD makes is any better then a very bad gaming cpu then. Its sad that some people are actually paying you for computer advice/builds. Thats prove enuff to how clueless the majority of pc users are.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Aparently not enough people are paying him for his builds or he wouldnt have 13 Q6600s on his shelf claiming nobody wants them. Either that or hes just a 13 year old wannabe fanboi who's spoutin a line of s*** to make himself feel like hes a grownup. :kaola:

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Don't get the Phenom if you plan on running everything stock. However, if you plan to OC...

Then wait a week and go for the Phenom 9600 Black Edition. There are reports that the chip OCs stable to 2.8 - 3.0 ghz... which at that point you would outperform the x2 6400+.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Maybe right now invest in the 790FX mobo and get a 5000+ black edition... that way you can overclock the heck out of the thing to a nice 3.2Ghz and when AMD comes out with nice procs this year upgrade and you're only out a hundred bucks or you could sell that old sucker for $50 to someone that wants it like me!!!

Get a Q6600 and overclock like crazy - best performance in single, dual and quad threaded applications ;)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Yep.. that was the point I was getting at. Phenom currently does not worth your bucks. Maybe B3 revision will, but that's only maybe. On the other hand, AMD's 5000+ BE proved to be a great overclocker (3.2Ghz on stock), while costing a lot less, and a lot more useful than Phenom. As I said earlier, for desktop applications, clockspeed is still very important. This is why you seldom see Q6600 beating E6850 in gaming.

If you really want an AMD quad, I would recommend Shanghai, the 45nm version of K10. It should be a little less power hungry, and higher performing.

However, if you really want a quad for computer, and don't mind getting everything new, Intel is the only way to go at the moment.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I wouldnt completely rule out the 9500 right now for the price. It isnt all that bad of a proc. It should however only be listed for $130.... considering that's about all it is worth.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Agreed. But for the same price, you can get a 5000+ BE, which performs a lot better (especially in gaming), I see little reason to go Phenom now.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Now here is something I don't get - so many people say "Get 790FX and 5000+ BE now, B3 Phenom later". WHY would anyone do that (apart from blind fanboyism)? You can get a Q6600 NOW and overclock it to 3.6GHz without any hassles. That will beat the pants off an overclocked 5000+ BE, and will almost certainly be faster than any future B3 Phenom as well. It'll take a 4GHz Phenom just to match a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So someone has to go through all this extra trouble and expense on the 790FX platform, for what? No matter what you do, at the end of the day you'll end up with worse performance, for more money.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Yeah, just like there was nothing wrong in Baron choosing to get his QuadFX too... oh wait... :lol:

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Its one thing to have preference to use a certain company's product, but another to spread incorrect information regarding your company of preference.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
AMD has a good thing going with the 790FX... might not have such a great product in the phenom... but the spyder platform is definitely something I myself would strongly consider when upgrading. The q6600 on an X38 is fast for sure but I think the 790FX with two 3870's with a "future" AMD quad will be equally as impressive. All components from the same hand!