Athlon 64 x2 6400 or Phenom 9500?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I agree. Within the Spider platform, AMD's own Phenom is the weakest point, where it turned away most people. If Phenom does perform around same clocked Penryn, or even Kentsfield, Spider platform will definitely take off. Who doesn't want a high performing quad core, a highly scalable performance video card, a highly efficient, yet full of feature motherboard? I'm sure I do. The problem is within Phenom, and it doesn't seem it can be fix easily.

But if AMD can't fix Phenom by Q2, or 45nm K10 by Q4, I'm sure a lot of people will go to the dark side.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Exactly - a system is only as good as it's weakest point.

How exactly do you propose AMD 'fix' Phenom? I believe it is a doomed architecture right from the start. No matter what AMD does, it will always be behind Intel in terms of IPC and scalability. What will AMD achieve in Q2? A bug free Phenom 9900 at a 'whopping' 2.6GHz? Benchmarks have proven that a 9900 is STILL slower than a Q6600, so despite all AMD's efforts at 'fixing' Phenom, their flagship product by Q2 08 will still lag behind an 18 month old architecture.

OK, some think there is hope in 45nm, but what are we expecting here, miracles? Long gone are the days when die shrinks meant dramatically improved performance, just look at AMD's latest 65nm shrink for an example. Even Intel's Penryn, merely achieved an overall 5% IPC improvement (SSE4 notwithstanding), and half of that is probably down to the larger cache.

A best case scenario for AMD is if their 45nm parts match current Kentsfield in IPC, that in itself would take a 10% IPC improvement which is unheard of in modern times from a die shrink. But let's give AMD the benefit of the doubt, and assume they pull it off. So 45nm K10 will match a Kentsfield by Q4 08... umm, can anyone say 12 months late to the party? By then Intel will have fully ramped their own 45nm Penryns and will be on the verge of launching Nehalem, if it's hasn't in fact launched already.

K10/Phenom as a direct competitor to Intel's quads is as good as dead. It may end up being the bargain bin alternative (and it's heading that way fast) but nothing more. All their efforts at 'fixing' Phenom will come to nothing, because the competition is also advancing, and at a faster rate too. Phenom will spend it's entire lifespan being nothing more than a budget contender, totally at the mercy of Intel's pricing department. If Intel ever decides to launch a sub $200 Penryn quad... I'll leave you to ponder the consequences of such a move.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I agree. I think AMD lost the desktop space big time. Unless AMD engineers can pull something out of the hat, I seriously won't consider Phenom to be a competitive processor against Core 2.

OK, some think there is hope in 45nm, but what are we expecting here, miracles? Long gone are the days when die shrinks meant dramatically improved performance, just look at AMD's latest 65nm shrink for an example. Even Intel's Penryn, merely achieved an overall 5% IPC improvement (SSE4 notwithstanding), and half of that is probably down to the larger cache.
The point of moving to 45nm is to reduce power consumption, at the same time increasing clockspeed. Unless the 6Mb L3 cache can provide any help, you won't see any increase in IPC.

Then the next question becomes, how will AMD's 45nm process benefit K10? From the scarce data we currently know, it seems like AMD won't incorporate HK/MG in their 45nm process. AMD only said they could, but didn't make any promises. In addition to that, IBM won't implement HK/MG until 32nm, so it is likely AMD won't get any 45nm HK/MG from IBM. AMD doesn't have the resources, or the technical background to start everything from scratch. Currently they're still struggling on their 65nm process.

A best case scenario for AMD is if their 45nm parts match current Kentsfield in IPC, that in itself would take a 10% IPC improvement which is unheard of in modern times from a die shrink. But let's give AMD the benefit of the doubt, and assume they pull it off. So 45nm K10 will match a Kentsfield by Q4 08... umm, can anyone say 12 months late to the party? By then Intel will have fully ramped their own 45nm Penryns and will be on the verge of launching Nehalem, if it's hasn't in fact launched already.
Exactly. Higher clocked K10 has been delayed to Q2, and judging from AMD's past record, Q2 means end of summer. This will probably hit Intel's Nehalem demo. What if Nehalem is about 50% better than Core 2, plus the bonus of high scalability? What will we, as enthusiasts, or corporates do, if we know there is a killer product just about 2 quarters away? Will we spend the bucks and buy AMD's K10, or wait for Nehalem?

50% better is only my conservative speculation. If Inq can be trusted, they claimed about 100% faster clock-for-clock against the current 65nm Core 2. How is AMD going to counter that? Although I hate to say this, but it seems like AMD's fate has been determined.
K10/Phenom as a direct competitor to Intel's quads is as good as dead. It may end up being the bargain bin alternative (and it's heading that way fast) but nothing more. All their efforts at 'fixing' Phenom will come to nothing, because the competition is also advancing, and at a faster rate too. Phenom will spend it's entire lifespan being nothing more than a budget contender, totally at the mercy of Intel's pricing department. If Intel ever decides to launch a sub $200 Penryn quad... I'll leave you to ponder the consequences of such a move.
It is pretty ironic, that what AMD touted in the first place (40%?), became the budget solution for the market. In addition to the high manufacturing cost of K10 native quad, AMD also needs to pay off K10's research cost. In all honesty, I really don't know how they can do it.

But, maybe its just me being pessimistic.

SaLsiChA I hope you have gotten something useful out of this.

Since it is a new PC then a 790 mobo and a decent graphics card - like a 8800GT or 3870 is a good start.

A 6000+ or 6400+ will give you the most from it for gaming.

Make sure you have at least a couple of gigs of ddr2-800 ram in it.

Hope this helps.

I'd recommend a 5000+ Black edition but you mentioned not wanting to overclock ... this would otherwise save you a bit of cash tho.

Put at least a 500W PSU in it.

Make sure the case has decent airflow.

Spend the rest on HDD space etc.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Honestly if I were going to build a PC right now I would have to say I would get something intel with nvidia chipset. I'm very dissapointed that phenom wasnt just a little better or at least that their prices were at a giveaway level. I just cant see why anyone would get a phenom when their X2's outperform them by quite a bit still. Maybe if phenom wasnt buggy and came at closer to 2.6 (like they were supposed to) and priced to "SELL" then I would be selling everyone on that and buying AMD stock to show my faith in the company... but right now it's complete idiocy... at least for the enthusiast. The X2 will remain to be a good chip though and selling at quite a bargain. Especially the 6400+.

TRENDING THREADS