Question Athlon 880k not stable

May 4, 2019
I've been running 880k few years now. Bought it second hand. I have never been able to run it with turbo on and before was running stable 4.1ghz at 1.4v but now not stable anymore. Will be tweaking more when having time but upgraded so now out of case.
AND why in BIOS screen VRM gets way more warmer than never in os. Cpu temps rise too suprisingly much. AMD overdrive shows 20 to 30 degrees thermal headroom and every other program shows anything between -10 to 99 degrees celsius.

Motherboard: asrock fm2a78m pro4+
CPU: Athlon x4 880k
RAM: 2x4Gb DDR3 1600mhz
PSU: silentiumPC vero2 500w.

May 4, 2019
Will it be this simple... Just disabled amd coolnquiet and all is stable with 1.35v and 4.1ghz. Aparently motherboard power delivery just is not fast enough to react fast power need. Now running prime95 and will see.

Still wondering why temps are rising in bios. Did not find anything on motherboards manual or i just missed it.

May 4, 2019
4.1ghz at 1.35v amd cool and quet disabled prime95 1 hour stable. I'm happy with that. Temps were cpu around 53 celsius(not sure with this. Depends what program used but 3 out of 5 measured this and overdrive reported 28 degrees thermal headroom). Vrm 71 celsius measured with external meter.

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Some 3rd party applications will show bogus temps when they don't know how to read a sensor (-1 - 99C). I know that speedfan does this. As far as the system not being stable when running turbo, it is most likely a thermal issue.
The CPU running at 53 C is not bad but the 71C VRM is a tad hot. Does your motherboard have VRM heatsinks?

May 4, 2019
Some 3rd party applications will show bogus temps when they don't know how to read a sensor (-1 - 99C). I know that speedfan does this. As far as the system not being stable when running turbo, it is most likely a thermal issue.
The CPU running at 53 C is not bad but the 71C VRM is a tad hot. Does your motherboard have VRM heatsinks?

No it does not. Have been thinking to add heatsink with thermal tape but never actually did that. Don't know what vrm temps were in case with decent airflow versus now when just sitting on top of cardboard box, only stock cooler giving some minor airflow. Nevertheles will sell this combo with stable settings applied and saved as profile.

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
No it does not. Have been thinking to add heatsink with thermal tape but never actually did that. Don't know what vrm temps were in case with decent airflow versus now when just sitting on top of cardboard box, only stock cooler giving some minor airflow. Nevertheles will sell this combo with stable settings applied and saved as profile.
At the above stock settings you mentioned if it's running stable you are probably fine, but to run turbo or overclock at all you will need those heatsinks to keep the VRMs running cool.

Reactions: Juhasto