athlon C 1.0 @1.5 or 1.33 @1.5 temp/strain issues

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
If you overclock a 1.1 to 1.5 for example. Is there the same strain on the 1.1 as there would be ona 1.33 if I over clocked the 1.33 to 1.5.

From what I thought (common sense) is that when AMD release a CPU, the speed it's sold at should be the base line and then I guess if you have adequate cooling you can overclock it. I really hope that when AMD release a 1.33 it's not just an overclocked 1.0 or 1.1. Because if that's the case, what is the point in paying more for 1.33 when your motherboard actually will let you do it for free.

COuld someone please clarify this if they know.

Kind of summary of the question:

IF: 1.0 OCed to 1.5 = x strain and y temperature on the 1.0 CPU

will a 1.33 OCed to 1.5 also have x strain and y temp?

Another way of putting this question, is: do I need the same cooling for a 1.0 running @1.5 than I would for a 1.33 running @1.5?

Thank you.

Beer is the devil's piss.

G

all other things being identical, i'd guess at this
power = volts x current
if you look at the spec sheets you will see that progressively faster chips get more and more volts
e.g. with the same stepping of chip, faster speeds require higher volts, this leads to more heat, if you fail to cool the chips to identical temps, than invaribly the hotter chip is subjected to more (non linear) stress.

the answer is yes. you need big coolers at 1500.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Tnanks for the info, but that doesn't really answer my question, I'm sorry if I've worded it incorrectly.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Actually sorry, I kind of understand what you mean, but I wonder if someone else could give me their answers. Thanks.

G

My understanding is that on the same stepping a processor certified for 1.3 Mhz runs at THE SAME voltage as a 1.0 Mhz
processor (and roughly the same temperature). If it ran at higher voltage it would be a dead giveaway that the manufacturer is overclocking the faster part. (which happened with the PIII 1.0 Mhz).

Therefore a faster processor (1.33 Mhz) will overclock more easily to 1.5 Mhz with less "strain" and less voltage increase than a 1.0 Mhz processor. There are always exceptions though and sometimes manufacturers appear to release processors that can run much faster faster than their rated speed, there is a suspicion that the latest AMD processors are VERY overclockable.

Note that the above applies GENERALLY and there can always be individual exceptions.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
That's exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you. It's actually the answer I wanted to hear.

The only thing is, the last time I listened to ONE person's answer on this forum, I went out and purchased 2 * 256 MB PC2100 non-parity RAM, then realised that for an extra few pounds (about £8 per stick) I could have got ECC which has better performance.

That's the annoying thing, but you sound like you know what you're talking about ;P

Anyway could you explain the term stepping and how can Identify what stepping my CPU is, hopefully mine is the same stepping as a 1.0 GHz, and should run on 1.75 V is that right? That's the default isn't it?

Thanks again.

G

But if you'd gotten ECC you might have been even more upset to find that your motherboard doesn't support it (don't know for sure since you didn't mention what you've got). Also, memory accesses on ECC ram take an extra clock cycle in order to do that Error Correcting meaning you run slower. This is good for servers where you want/need "guaranteed" mem accesses but generally not as important for the average consumer/gamer.

The stepping is etched into the top of the CPU core. If I remember correctly, it looks like this:

ATHLON 1.2GHz (or whatever speed yours is)
XXXXYYYYYYYYYY

where X is a letter and Y is a number. The Xs and Ys indicate when and where the chip was made including which wafer it was on. Of course, nobody but AMD knows how to decipher the code. The term 'stepping' usually refers to the X portion and the more recent chips say 'AXIA' and are reported to be very overclockable.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks Atlantix, I'll have a look at the chip.

As for the RAM S S H H I I T T T !!!!!!!!!!!

I just sent the RAM back at my expense!!!!!! S H I T !!!!!!!

I'm really getting annoyed with one person telling me one thing and someone else telling me something else!!!

Actualy I think I've just got confused between registered and ECC. *BIG SIGH*

G

Hi,

First about PC2100 - you probably made a right decision buying non ECC ram. ECC ram performs slightly worse and is used mostly in servers (it can correct single error) where reliability is much more important that 2-3% speed increase.
Also there are many DDR boards out there that DOES NOT support ECC memory and if you have one of those you will have problems. And finally about TBirds - basically there is no difference between 1GHz TBird running at 1.5GHz and 1.33GHz TBird running at 1.5GHz. It is true that probability for a 1.33GHz to run at 1.5GHz is somewhat higher that probability of 1GHz chip to run at 1.5GHz (althought mine 1GHz AXIA chip runs perfectly at 1.533GHz).
You see basically 1GHz and 1.33GHz chips are the same - the only difference is that one is validated by AMD to run at 1.33GHz while the other is validated to run at 1GHz only (current AXIA chips are highly overclockable - I haven't heard anybody on the message boards not to be able to hit 1.4GHz with AXIA). AMD current TBird stepping (AXIA, BXIA) is highly overclockable (my guess is that sweet spot is ~1.3GHz) but problem for AMD is that there is a very strong demand for 1, 1.13, 1.2 GHz chips so that they can not mark all the chips at 1.33GHz but rather had to "artificially underclock" some of those high speed chips so that they can fill the demand for those lower speed grades. Also please keep in mind that for a single CPU nobody can gurantee that it will run more than the speed it is marked - for example I even have once one of those famous Celeron 300A that was unable to do even 333MHz stable althought most of Cel300A were overclockable to 450Mhz so if you want a guaranteed high speed buy 1.33GHz TBird.
Regards,
menads

G

Well, I'm not even sure what registered RAM is but I know a lot of motherboards also don't support that. Before you make any more RAM purchases, I highly recommend visiting www.crucial.com. In the middle of the page, you simply select your mobo's manufacturor and model number and it returns all compatible RAMs made by Crucial. Then write down the specs of those RAMs (unbuffered, registered, ECC, etc.) and shop around.

G

Thanx .. the stepping of a processor is the "version" of the processor core. All t'birds are called Athlon but there have been internal changes (improvements ? ) during the life of the T'bird the most notable being supoort for 133Mhz FSB(Double pumped) also referred to as the "C" series

You can look at the serial number on the processor chip which should say Athlon (obviously) followed by a line
of letters & numbers A1333xxxC or A1300xxxB
the 4 digits following the A define the rated speed in Mhz
the last letter is B for 100 FSB or C for 133 FSB.
the next line contains a code such as AXIA which gives more detailed information about the time of production and exact version of the processor .. I am not an expert on decoding these but there are ppl on this forum who can assist you (maybe another post is necessary).

If you have reason to doubt the info on the processor (you think it has been falsly marked) you can use a utility to interrogate the cpu for its family and stepping level, as far as I know this is foolproof you can download this utility from the AMD site sorry I dont have a URL for it.
good luck - fred