Athlon ii X3 455 CPU core unlocking and HW monitor

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hello

I have got a new motherboard, and one that can finally overclock and do core unlocking.

I've already tried using the core unlock feature on the bios, and it booted up to Windows fine with 4 cores. However, unlocking cores messes up the core temp sensors (core temp shows the cores a 80-82 degrees C, which is silly). On HW monitor the TMPIN2 goes through the roof at about 90ish degrees. Also CPU-Z only shows the core clock at 800mhz, and when prime95 is run it doesn't seem to clock higher, although the all CPU meter does show the CPU clock at 3.3ghz. What I would like to know is which temp gauges on HW monitor should I trust and is what CPU-Z saying about core clock right? If so I'm assuming some more voltage is needed or do I turn off cool'n quiet? I'm running on the stock cooler so I don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for any help :)

I'm running an unlocked 455 (becomes a Phenom II x4 B55) and temps are an issue on mine - I run about 70-75C with water cooling at 100% load. I'm guessing here that your CPU was locked due to defect (like mine) and not overrun and those temps with the stock HSF may be quite accurate. Likely, you would need some kind of extreme aftermarket cooler to control your temps. You may get better results for your uses simply by overclocking the CPU as a three core (you'll need aftermarket cooling for that also)

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Ok but its running at 80 degrees at either idle or 3.3ghz depending on which program you look at. Surely my CPU would have fried at that temp? Also TMPIN0 (which I think is CPU socket temp) was rather low at around 30-35 ish degrees, which is lower than when the CPU is a triple core. Thats led me to think that the core unlocking makes the temp sensors go up the swanny and therefore makes the CPU down-clock in an effort to stop itself cooking when actually it isn't. Could that be the case? I'm probably just gonna overclock anyway when I get some good cooling, Phenom ii Quads are getting so cheap now I might as well get one of those, they overclock better due to the unlocked multiplier and have L3 cache.

It may be the thermal sensors that have gone awry on your CPU - could be the only problem with it (no telling with a three core CPU). The TJMax is 99C, at or above that is where you'll cause heat damage quickly, I haven't personally run into throttling issues at 75C but throttling would probably start somewhere around 80C I suspect. An upgrade might be the better course of action here.
I should explain here that my B55 machine is autonomous and the only interaction I have with it is when it gets restarted after updates. I've been running it as a quad core 100% load 24/7 for over a year now (it only does SETI work) with the intent of 'slow cooking' it which would give me an excuse to upgrade that machine but so far it has run error-free (I'm somewhat bummed by it's tenacity).