[SOLVED] Athlon II X4 870K bouncing clock speed while playing games causing stuttey gameplay

Solution
That board doesn't have great power delivery, but should be enough for the 870k as long as you aren't massively overvolting it to try to achieve a high overclock. First, try setting your Windows Power Plan to maximum performance, this will force the CPU to run at max clocks at all times, if it's still throttling then it's not a Windows setting issue. After that, if you haven't tried already, reset the BIOS to the factory defaults and test to see what your CPU clock behaviour is in game. If it is still throttling, then there is probably a cooling issue somewhere eg. CPU is overheating, or your case has very poor airflow that the VRMs are overheating despite your CPU's low power draw.

dariushskt

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Nba 2k 20 it stutters when i set the core count setting in the bios to automatic which enables for cores but i get better performance when i enable two cores per processor

dariushskt

Commendable
May 17, 2018
What games? This is a 4 cores 4 threads CPU. If you're trying to play games like Warzone it will stutters.

Nba 2k 20 it stutters when i set the core count setting in the bios to automatic which enables four cores but i get better performance when i enable two cores per processor which only uses two cores please help me

Sounds like your CPU is throttling for some reason, could be its overheating, could be the VRMs on the motherboard are overheating, but that usually doesn't happen on the FM2+ platform. For AMD CPUs that old, try downloading AMD Overdrive and checking your CPU temps while gaming. If you are getting 0 thermal margin or 70+ degrees celsius, then you have a cooling problem.

Reactions: SamirD

dariushskt

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Sounds like your CPU is throttling for some reason, could be its overheating, could be the VRMs on the motherboard are overheating, but that usually doesn't happen on the FM2+ platform. For AMD CPUs that old, try downloading AMD Overdrive and checking your CPU temps while gaming. If you are getting 0 thermal margin or 70+ degrees celsius, then you have a cooling problem.
My cpu temps are good.What is causing this to happen

My cpu temps are good.What is causing this to happen

If your temps are okay but your CPU is still throttling, that usually means you're hitting a power limitation somewhere. It could be in your Windows Power Plan, it could be a BIOS setting, or it could be a hardware issue likely on the motherboard. It would help to have complete system specs. If you've overclocked your CPU, I'd suggest returning to stock speeds and seeing if that helps, some BIOSes will have power limits you have to change to avoid throttling when overclocking, and some motherboards, particularly low end ones cannot handle high CPU power draw, though the FM2+ socket doesn't exactly have super power hungry chips on it.

dariushskt

Commendable
May 17, 2018
If your temps are okay but your CPU is still throttling, that usually means you're hitting a power limitation somewhere. It could be in your Windows Power Plan, it could be a BIOS setting, or it could be a hardware issue likely on the motherboard. It would help to have complete system specs. If you've overclocked your CPU, I'd suggest returning to stock speeds and seeing if that helps, some BIOSes will have power limits you have to change to avoid throttling when overclocking, and some motherboards, particularly low end ones cannot handle high CPU power draw, though the FM2+ socket doesn't exactly have super power hungry chips on it.
GIGABYTE F2A68HM-S1 FM2+
Amd athlon x4 870k
GT 1030
8Gb ddr3 1600mhz
Please help me

That board doesn't have great power delivery, but should be enough for the 870k as long as you aren't massively overvolting it to try to achieve a high overclock. First, try setting your Windows Power Plan to maximum performance, this will force the CPU to run at max clocks at all times, if it's still throttling then it's not a Windows setting issue. After that, if you haven't tried already, reset the BIOS to the factory defaults and test to see what your CPU clock behaviour is in game. If it is still throttling, then there is probably a cooling issue somewhere eg. CPU is overheating, or your case has very poor airflow that the VRMs are overheating despite your CPU's low power draw.

Solution