athlon mobile 2600+

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

i bought an AMD athlon XP mobile 2600 45W barton oem processor.

i put it in my pc and it booted to windows fine however there are a few things i need cleared up:
1)when i right click on my computer and click properties it lists my processor as mobile AMD athlon(tm) XP 2500+ 2.00ghz . this is abit weird as on my receipt it even says 2600 . has the supplier screwed me over or is this a common error?
2)i read that mobiles were meant to run at 1.45v normally. however when i go into bios it is running at 1.550v and this is the lowest setting i can select. is this likely to be the motherboard not supporting voltages as low as 1.45 or is there a way to fix this? (i have a MSI KT3V mobo)
3) i have a coolermaster aero 7 cpu fan and i am getting 42 (degrees celcius) idle and 47 full load (running prime 95)are these normal temperatures or are these abit high (bear in mind this is running at 1.550vcore) i am thinking of overclocking my cpu and i was wondering what max fully loaded temperature i should stop at with my overclock?(bear in mind i dont want to shorten the lifespan of the processor)

thanks

matt

Try getting a BIOS update - see if this fixes the voltage issue.

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
can you change the multiplier?

and how fast/what kind of ram do you have?

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

im kinda a noob at this overclocking buisiness so you will have to excuse me.

i think that i can control the multiplier. i went into the bios then set the multiplier at x9.0 (with fsb 133). then i save the settings and i go into windows and it still says it is clocked at 2.00ghz and in 3dmark it also says it is clocked at 2 ghz. then i restart and go back into the bios and it still said the multiplier is at x9.0. does this mean i can chage the multiplier?

as to your second point i have 768mb DDR pc 2700 ram. it is just bog standard ram and not any special overclocking stuff. what sort of impact will this have on my overclock?

thanks

matt

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Lowest Voltage,

Seen the same on another Mobo, very big seller too. You can't get below 1.55V (maybe the BIOS flash as previously suggested).

The 2000MHz sounds normal. A XP2500 runs at 1866Mhz and an XP3200 at 2200MHz. Here is a link to the core specs.
<A HREF="http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-xp-e.html" target="_new">http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-xp-e.html</A>

If you can't get the voltage down try overclocking it a bit you might find yourself pleasantly surprised. I have one XP2500 Mobile running as an XP3200 at that voltage and another running 190x11=2090

The loving are the daring!

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

so do you think i should worry about windows only showing it as an 2500 instead of a 2600 if it is clocked at 2.0ghz also how should i find out the actaul clock speed? as windows does not seem to be altering when i change the multiplier

answers to any of my previous questions in my last post would be appreciated (from any one)

matt

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.cpuid.com/" target="_new">http://www.cpuid.com/</A> Try this to find the acutal speed. And I wouldn't worry to much about windows showing u stuff. Windows doesn't control the speed of ur cpu. Did u get OC software with ur mobo? Is that what ur talking about?

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

i am kinda worried about the multiplier. the defaults are for a 133fsb with x15 multiplier giving me a 2.0ghz system. So i went into bios and underclocked it just to check that i actually could change the multiplier. i set the multiplier at x11 and then went into windows opened up cpuz and it said i still had the x15 multiplier on a 2ghz. so i restarted and went back into bios and the x11 multiplier was still selected. i am very confused :S
does this mean my multiplier is locked?
does anyone know why this might be happening and if so how to fix it?
also do all athlon mobiles come unlocked? because i thought this was the case and if so it would make sense that this one was locked

thanks for the cpuz link that helps me alot

matt

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
If you can change it in the BIOS it should be unlocked. Check your options in the bios to make sure that you are indeed controlling the cpu speed and voltages etc.

Where are you getting this "Windows Info" BTW???

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
if you right click on my computer then click properties then it opens up a window and at the bottom of that it tells me my processor , clock speed and how much ram i have. although now i am using cpuz to get my readings as it gives alot more detail.

thanks

matt

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I am using windows XP and it reports as follows for my mobile XP2500:

Unknown CPU type
2.10 Ghz (1866 is for the 2500 but its 2.1 cause I overclocked a bit)
512MB of Ram

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
:S mine is pissing me off my mobo is setting my multiplier at the max what ever do you know why this might be? (my motherboard max multiplier is x15)
also another weird thing i have noticed is that my mobo only goes from 1.550v to 1.675 volts (something around that) this is quite a small band could a bios flash help to increase this range?

thanks

matt

endyen

Splendid
How much line 2 cache does cpuz show?
Take the hsf off, and copy everything from the top of the chip.
You do not have a regular xp-m 2600+. If it did, your mobo would not recognize it. You would have multiplers available, and your chip would run @ 1.86 ghz normally but would default to 100 X 8 on your board.
If you have 384k of L2 cache, you have an xp-PM chip.
It has a locked multiplier, runs at 133/266 and I think it runs @ 2ghz.
FYI no mobo has a top multiplier of 15. This is an higher speed, than the 4 bit code. It is often the chip that fixes the multiplier, or the bios.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) The multiplier is unlocked, the board can't tell what speed the CPU is. Set it as desired, these things are known to go to at least 2.2GHz.
2.) The Voltage ID pin arangements are different between Mobile and Desktop CPU's. The board probably thinks 1.550v is the right setting because it's not programed to use the alternate assignments. And most boards only allow you to adjust the voltage upward. 1.550v is a safe voltage for the CPU, and will help with stability should you decide to overclock.
3.) Voltage is a more significant factor to heat than clock speed, I'd probably try 2.2GHz using the current 1.550v setting and check the temperatures at that setting. If you don't see anything over 55C, I'd probably kick it up to around 1.65v and try for a max overclock speed. 65C is the highest temperature I'd tollerate, although the CPU can tollerate more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

i flashed the bios of my mobo and when i booted up into windows it had the default settings off x15 and 100fsb which windows showed as an athlon mobile 1900+ running at 1.5ghz. then i went back into the bios and put the fsb up to 133 so it was running at x15 133fsb and windows now detects it as an athlon mobile 2600 at 2.0ghz which is one improvement :D what are the default fsb and multiplier settings for an 2600 mobile?

in response to your earlier questions cpuz is showing 512kb of level 2 cache

my mobo is MSI KT3V MS-6712 and the highest multiplier setting i can select in the bios is x15 . could having this mobo mean that a mobile might be recognized?

i would take off the heatsink and write down all the info but its getting abit late and i dont have enough time to rip apart my pc atm

thanks

matt

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
thanks alot crashman for ur advice in what level to overclock it too. at the moment the only problem i have is that the multiplier is set at x15 and is refusing to change. is this a problem or shall i just go for 2.2ghz with x15 multiplier and 147fsb or is their a better way to hit 2.2ghz?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you tried using a lower multiplier like 14x? What memory do you have?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
thats exactly what all my other posts have been about ive been having alot of trouble with my multipliers. basically i go into biosa and it lets me alter the multiplier (for instance i tried x9) but i go into windows and then cpuz reports that it is still using x15 so i reset go back into the bios but it is still set on x9. what is going wrong here?

could it be my mobo coz its pretty old MSI KT3V MS-6712? because the only range i have for my voltages is between 1.550 and about 1.675.

my ram is pretty crap 768DDR PC2700 (no special brand probably not particuarly good quality) am i right that this will limit me to 166 fsb anyway?

thanks

matt

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try every possible multiplier, some were remapped, some boards don't support certain ranges, etc.

endyen

Splendid
Hey Wusy, he isn't getting his multipliers. His chipset is KT333,what is the slowest speed on the fsb that supports the 5:2:1 166 divider? Since he's stuck at 15X, and only 1.675v do you think he can boot at 160 fsb?

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

i tried crashmans idea of trying every multipliers and tbh i got bored after a while but i tried x6 (lowest my mobo will go) , x7 , x9 , x11 ,x14 and none of these worked i had the same results as before and when i went into cpuz it still reported the cpu using a x15 multiplier

i also tried someone elses idea of trying to change the multiplier while the fsb is set at 100. this did not help and cpuz reported the correct fsb value i changed to 100 but the multiplier was still at x15 :S

wusy i cannot get the multiplier to go to anything apart from x15 so my board is certainly not having the problem of setting it back to the lowest setting as it is constantly on the highest setting (x15)

also if it is not possible to change my multiplier in the BIOS how / where should i change it?
how has everyone else with a mobile altered their multipliers?

if their is no way to change the multiplier will it still be possible for me to overclock my cpu by simply keeping the multiplier at x15 and upping the fsb? and how succesful would this be?

also what are the stock athlon mobile 2600 cpu's fsb and multiplier? beacuse when i got mine its fsb was 133 and the multiplier was x15 what were other peoples set to when they put it in their boards for the first time?

thanks

matt

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Load the "Fuzzy Logic 4" utility from ur CD. It should help you overclock windows.

I read your Mobo manual and am not particularly impressed with your overclock options. The apparent lack of an AGP lock will make for severe limitations. Try the software utility.

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

sorry if this is really simple but what does the lack of an agp lock imply for me? does this mean i may have problems putting my fsb up? and if i do this it muck muck up the graphics card? what sort of limitations do you think this might put on my overclock?

thanks

matt

MattSreeves

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
hi,

im not sure if anyone has any experience using fuzzy logic4 but it seems like a piece of [-peep-] to me.

i open it up and i cant find a way to use it to change the multiplier.

also their is an option to change the fsb but the options for this are 200 - 301 :S

also in the cpu speed window it has 5.5 x 363.7 2000.0mhz

can anyone make head or tails of this or point me in the direction of a better soft mod program that actaully has instructions?

thanks

matt