Athlon Tbird 1.1ghz+abit kt7raid troubles

G

I just bought a kt7 raid and a 1.1ghz athlon tbird. I plugged the athlon into the system powered it up and the tbird started smoking. Does anyone know what exactly the problem could be? is it that the kt7 doesn't support 1.1 tbird? And also is it likely that the tbird is damaged from overheating?

G

Peng,

If you just put in the Athlon without a heatsink/fan, you've probably just destroyed your processor. Without a heatsink/fan, your Athlon will last less than 10 seconds before destroying itself. Were you using a heatsink?

Mike

G

ah crap are ya kiddin me? Mannnn they should put that in the damn manual. I built a pII system before and that worked fine w/o heatsink/fan. Damn these molten tbird pieces of crap [-peep-]! Hmm *hopefully* it'll still work after i put on the heatsink+fan...man i gotta learn not to test this [-peep-] out before putting everything in. Damn it!

G

I'm afraid I'm not kidding. I hate to add insult to your injury, but the top of page 2-3 in you motherboard manual says in bold text, outlined in a box, that you must install a heatsink and fan or you could damage your processor.

Mike

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there not crap just people dont ask question even if they think they are dumb questions athlon run hot. that why it needs heatsink and fan shesh.

G

Peng are you for real?

You put a system together with no heatsink or fan?
You must be the dumbest person(I mean that in the kindest way) I have ever come across.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by onipion on 01/18/01 00:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know you must feel pretty stupid, those guys kinda ripped you a new hole but it is standard since maybe 1995 at least to put a heatsink and fan on. Use the Orb cooling fan it does an excelent job. Good luck on round 2.
-=-Sean-=-

G

There is one thread you should add too...Most stupid thing You have ever done to your computer...It will be a while before anyone steals your D hat.

DESIGN TEAM

G

Guys i was just being sarcastic with the last post. I kno amd makes quality tbirds, but i didn't know they overheated so easily. Anyway i was just testing the sys to see if it worked. I didn't really kno i needed the heatsink+fan on the cpu to test it cuz i didn't think that the cpu would melt like that. I'm sure with the previous comps you guys have built you probably tested to see if the comp powered up during the building process to minimize chances of failing later and not knowing what's wrong. Anyway i'm just saying that I was merely testing the cpu..i didn't even have the monitor attached, no need to go hardcore and flame or anythin

G

<b>no need to go hardcore and flame or anythin</b>

I agree. Ignore the flames. If I had a dollar for every mistake I've ever made, I'd be pretty well off right now (which I'm not). I'm sure you've already kicked yourself a couple of times, so chalk it up to experience.

Mike